Cachexia

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
Hello. I've posted several times previously, concerning mum's deterioration and, as expected, her condition continues to decline. Mum eats very little now and she has recently suffered a bout of vomiting, which the care home attributed to a bug, and subsequently a chest infection which has now cleared up after a course of antibiotics.

Mum's weight is down to 37kg and her BMI is 13.something. She sleeps most of the time. She used to be very vocal, shouting and screaming, but her voice is so weak now that it's barely audible.

Mum is being given oral nutritional supplements which she does drink, but still the weight drops. I expect that this is due to Cachexia.

Despite feeling very sad for my poor mum, I have long since come to terms with the inevitable and I know what to expect.

The nursing staff say very little about mum's deterioration and continue to care for her as they always have. However, I do wonder if some adjustments need to be made - for instance, mum is still being hoisted out of her bed for weighing and also for the occasional shower. I feel that these are unnecessary interventions for someone at mum's stage.

I'd be grateful to hear the experiences of others in this situation, and how their loved ones were cared for when they had reached this stage. I realise that I need to have a conversation with mum's nurse, but it would be useful to have some kind of yardstick to consider.

Many thanks.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I suppose your mum has to be monitored for the care home to have a record of their continuing care @luggy.
They have to cover themselves. Other families could accuse them of neglect if they didn`t do what they feel they have to do especially when the weight loss is so drastic.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I agree that weighing is possibly pointless now but its important that the staff do give her the occasion shower as that is the best way to keep an eye on her skin and act on sores etc which can be very painful.

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
I suppose your mum has to be monitored for the care home to have a record of their continuing care @luggy.
They have to cover themselves. Other families could accuse them of neglect if they didn`t do what they feel they have to do especially when the weight loss is so drastic.
Thank you @Grannie G yes, I don't have an issue with that and I fully understand the necessity for good record keeping. But, at the stage we're at with mum now, I feel that it's not in her best interests to be hoisted out of bed - something which is very painful for her due to severe contracture of both legs.

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
I agree that weighing is possibly pointless now but its important that the staff do give her the occasion shower as that is the best way to keep an eye on her skin and act on sores etc which can be very painful.
True, good point. Thank you @SAP