another funny!! dementia thing

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Passing the local primary school today
OH: there's a lot of nice looking cars there to say they belong to small children.
Couldn't help getting the giggles.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
You have to admit @maggie6445 that demonstrates a certain logic.
It does but even this type of logic is rare! Most conversation is the same two or three stories made of reality and things he's seen on TV.

He told me the other night that we had been burgled and he'd been stabbed. He didn't use those words but that was the gist of it. A lot was description of the thing in his hand pushed in him and red water came out! His language skills are loads better in the morning. It's give me clue by lunchtime 🤣

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Mum in mild distress having her pad changed ‘Get me out of this car!’
Ah ,bless her. My oh has been trying to talk to me this evening but I honestly haven't a clue what he's trying to tell me. There's been a lot of hand gesture to try and explain and incomplete sentences with nouns missing and you knows. I feel so sad when this happens as he's trying to communicate and I can't help him. I just smile and nod but I think he knows I don't understand

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
And not so funny but a bit concerning.. . OH had another of his stumbling episodes where he starts to stagger as if drunk. I had to leave him on a wall while I ran back to the car for his wheelchair. His pulse was low again when we got home . He's having another 24 hr ECG next Wednesday and has a date for an echocardiogram.

Tonight after hanging washing I returned to the living room . OH was sitting with a hand full of tissues and eating them! I pulled a couple of largish clumps out of his mouth but I'm not sure if he'd swallowed any.

I need eyes in the back of my head!

Last edited:

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
I got my husband and myself new glasses. I only wear mine when driving. He keeps complaining the he can’t see with his new glasses. Each time I check he has my new glasses on. I’ve only had the glasses for 2 weeks and because he keeps bending them out of shape, I’ve had to take them back 2 times to get them readjusted. Right now I’m back to wearing my old glasses and I’ve hidden my new glasses from him.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I got my husband and myself new glasses. I only wear mine when driving. He keeps complaining the he can’t see with his new glasses. Each time I check he has my new glasses on. I’ve only had the glasses for 2 weeks and because he keeps bending them out of shape, I’ve had to take them back 2 times to get them readjusted. Right now I’m back to wearing my old glasses and I’ve hidden my new glasses from him.
Oh dear ,a lack of awareness like that must be really annoying for you.

My OH has worn glasses for 68 years and he always put on first thing in the morning and took off last thing at night. He definitely needed them .

Theses days he isn't even aware that he isn't wearing them. If I say " you've forgotten to put your glasses on " he starts feeling his face to check! I wonder if the signal from brain to eye is starting to fail. Even though the fact he has to check makes me smile it's another dementia not quite so funny thing !

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Oh dear ,a lack of awareness like that must be really annoying for you.

My OH has worn glasses for 68 years and he always put on first thing in the morning and took off last thing at night. He definitely needed them .

Theses days he isn't even aware that he isn't wearing them. If I say " you've forgotten to put your glasses on " he starts feeling his face to check! I wonder if the signal from brain to eye is starting to fail. Even though the fact he has to check makes me smile it's another dementia not quite so funny thing !
mine does that. he forgets to take them off in bed so i tell him, he doesnt clean them unless i tell him, he will look at something and not realise he has to put them on. he does feel his face to see if they are on or off.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
My OH had her cataracts done a few years ago and had replacement lenses inserted. Result was she no longer needed glasses at all, save for v small or faint writing/printing or v poor light.

However, in all of her former eye life - glasses, contact lenses etc, she would also put on her glasses or put in her contact lenses first thing, saying she could hear much better with them!
Not as silly as it sounds, because with her glasses on or contact lenses in, she felt the whole of her more in focus!