Why am I so impatient

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
My husband has always been muddled & forgetful so I didn’t really see this coming Iast August he was diagnosed with MCI he has now been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s A couple of weeks ago my husband fainted & knocked himself out I was frantic the paramedics came within 5 mins which was amazing Since then my husband seems more confused He didn’t have a stroke but they are going to do tests on his heart as a day patient When this happened all I wanted was my wonderful husband & made a vow to myself that I wouldn’t get impatient again with him if he was ok & however muddled & forgetful he was he was with me and that was all that mattered But the last couple of days I haven’t been very nice to him I feel terrible about it as I know it’s not his fault & if the situation was reserved he would be amazing with me I am so depressed at the moment I’ve not long had a knee replacement & need my other knee & 1 hip replaced I struggle as I was always active but now I find little job’s difficult At the moment I can’t see any light & would like to go to bed tonight & not wake up But I know that’s so selfish How do I remain positive & patient Sorry I’m rambling

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
It is not surprising that you might feel a bit impatient at times @Bevhar you have a lot going on in your life, looking after your husband with dementia and being in pain yourself, so please do not be hard on yourself.
Do you have any help to look after your husband, if not it might be an idea to get into contact with your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your husband and a carers assessment for yourself. If you have a little more support you might find it easier to manage day to day.
In the meantime keep posting on the forum, just talking about how we feel can help us all.

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
It is not surprising that you might feel a bit impatient at times @Bevhar you have a lot going on in your life, looking after your husband with dementia and being in pain yourself, so please do not be hard on yourself.
Do you have any help to look after your husband, if not it might be an idea to get into contact with your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your husband and a carers assessment for yourself. If you have a little more support you might find it easier to manage day to day.
In the meantime keep posting on the forum, just talking about how we feel can help us all.
Thank you he really isn’t that bad that I need help He can do a lot of things for himself It’s just me trying to adjust to him not always realising what I’m asking him to do I think
Maybe I need to get us involved in the Alzheimers groups But as I said he isn’t really bad just forgetful & muddled

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Thank you he really isn’t that bad that I need help He can do a lot of things for himself It’s just me trying to adjust to him not always realising what I’m asking him to do I think
Maybe I need to get us involved in the Alzheimers groups But as I said he isn’t really bad just forgetful & muddled
Maybe it's you who needs the help? With dodgy knees and a hip too, it must be very hard for you to do the increasing amount of things that fall to you. Is it time to get a cleaner/gardener/someone to change the beds and do the ironing?

Sadly he's not going to get any better than he is today so you may/will need carers for him in the future. Having, say, a cleaner now might get him used to the idea of outside help. (And would make your life easier.)

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
Bevar , don't be too hard on yourself, even if you think your loved one might have dementia. it's still a shock when it's confirmed, you're the one that has to make sure things get done, even when he can still do some things, and when you're not feeling too great yourself makes it harder. you might think about some help, even just one day a week so you can have a break, I'm going to have to find someone to mow the lawn as none of us are able now...take care x

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Would he go to a day centre, I didn’t think my husband would but goes readily and I can’t tell you how much of a relief it is to have some time when I’m not ‘on duty’. I understand your frustration, I have it often, we are only human and it’s natural to feel the stress of it all.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sorry and I know it's a mantra I've used on here so many times on here, but you have to learn to live in their world when they can no longer live in ours, it's that simple.
Fight all the battles you want but you will lose the war, AZ doesn't take prisoners and we as carers are just collateral damage, we suffer too but usually survive, into what, life as a former carer, alone now.
Do it all over again if I could hard as it was, first 10 years are the worst as it say on here. K

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
Maybe it's you who needs the help? With dodgy knees and a hip too, it must be very hard for you to do the increasing amount of things that fall to you. Is it time to get a cleaner/gardener/someone to change the beds and do the ironing?

Sadly he's not going to get any better than he is today so you may/will need carers for him in the future. Having, say, a cleaner now might get him used to the idea of outside help. (And would make your life easier.)
Thank you I’m managing at the moment But I think it maybe an idea for the future He’s a very easy going person and would not object to me getting help

Bevhar

Mar 23, 2023
Sorry and I know it's a mantra I've used on here so many times on here, but you have to learn to live in their world when they can no longer live in ours, it's that simple.
Fight all the battles you want but you will lose the war, AZ doesn't take prisoners and we as carers are just collateral damage, we suffer too but usually survive, into what, life as a former carer, alone now.
Do it all over again if I could hard as it was, first 10 years are the worst as it say on here. K
That’s lovely to hear you would do it all again At the moment my husband is capable of most things just very forgetful& confused I’m just glad he’s here with me at the moment I want to be the best I can as he’s the love of my life I have read other people coping well as carers & I know if it was the reverse situation my husband would be wonderful with me I wonder if the people that find it the hardest are the ones who weren’t as close
To begin with Was it your wife you cared for

sillymom23

Apr 16, 2024
I feel like I am in the same situation. I pray every morning for God to give me patience. I find when I am tired is when I really lose it. Are you getting enough rest? My husband can still do daily cares by himself but needs reminders to do so...and sometimes he isn't cooperative about it. He has difficulty following directions, and asks the same questions over and over. It's really hard sometimes knowing he was a highly intelligent man and now can't figure out how to empty the trash. I think I might get a boxing bag so I can take out my frustrations on it. I don't think he would cooperate with a care giver at this time and he doesn't really need one as long as I am here. I just would like a few days for a break....but there aren't a lot of respite options I think he would cooperate with. Good luck.

Bay Tree

Jun 19, 2023
My husband has always been muddled & forgetful so I didn’t really see this coming Iast August he was diagnosed with MCI he has now been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s A couple of weeks ago my husband fainted & knocked himself out I was frantic the paramedics came within 5 mins which was amazing Since then my husband seems more confused He didn’t have a stroke but they are going to do tests on his heart as a day patient When this happened all I wanted was my wonderful husband & made a vow to myself that I wouldn’t get impatient again with him if he was ok & however muddled & forgetful he was he was with me and that was all that mattered But the last couple of days I haven’t been very nice to him I feel terrible about it as I know it’s not his fault & if the situation was reserved he would be amazing with me I am so depressed at the moment I’ve not long had a knee replacement & need my other knee & 1 hip replaced I struggle as I was always active but now I find little job’s difficult At the moment I can’t see any light & would like to go to bed tonight & not wake up But I know that’s so selfish How do I remain positive & patient Sorry I’m rambling
I'm so sorry to read how you are feeling but I understand only too well as I also find it difficult to remain positive and patient and at times, the light has gone out for me at the end of the tunnel. I think you have to keep reminding yourself that you are only human and you can't be 'perfect' all of the time, particularly when you are facing all the problems that go with Alzheimer's and his and your other health issues. I think just about everyone loses their patience at times and then regrets it, but I think you have to let it go and not feel guilty but just do what you can. I find that when I try to set myself high standards then I fail. I'm sure you are doing your best and hope that posting here helps you.