Who decides? What changes?

trus

Dec 28, 2023
Hi all, been reading on this forum part and have a few questions.
Who actually decides if a LO is at end of life care vs just palliative care (or is there much difference?)
My MIL goes through such ups and downs in the last year, some days on she looks like she wouldn't last a week, some days she is so perky and alert and even tries to make comments on things etc. (Although her phrases are quite limited and repeated)
I know that EoL can technically last months, but I am wondering if I am hurrying to sign my dear MIL off too early?
She's been diabetic (II) for about 40 years. They just recently removed all meds because her morning bloods now show normal range. She continues to have high sugars later in the day but I was told by several GPs not to worry as there is no risk of 'long lasting damage'.
She's totally immobile now, slanting over to one side in wheelchair (often needs quite a bit of propping to sit up). Spends most of her day asleep.
Barely able to use her hands but just about manages with the right one some days.
Total confusion. Never knows where she is. She always seem to think she is where she lived in her early 20-30s.
She is doubly incontinent and totally unaware.
Doesn't recognize her grandchildren, recently started to not to recognise me, but still knows my husband.
she moans and screams for help every time anyone tried to touch her, move her etc. Sometimes she is in pain from her aching body, sometimes she'd do the same for something minor, like teeth being cleaned etc.
She frequently has infections. I recall about 4 -5 UTIs, skin infection on the pressure sore she got on her foot (months on, it started healing now!) , and a very recent chest infection, all since October.
She eats very little and drinks very little, but the latter is usually roughly same amount per day. Eating can change slightly more, up and down.
Her circulation is quite bad, legs look a bit purplish, sometimes her eyes swell a bit. She started recently having gaps in urine output, but kidney function was checked and was fine for her age. Which is strange as sometimes she stops peeing for 12 to 24hr? It usually happens once and then everything works as normal. Had 5 episodes like this in the last month.
She is 90 y o and very rarely we see her funny cheeky personality but when we do we feel guilty for assuming she is suffering or dying etc. But most days she says she is fed up, stuck here, can't do anything etc and other days she'd turn on me and blame me for 'keeping her prisoner'
Her speech is often mumbled, sometimes she can't quite get the words out at all but really tries with such an emotion. Sometimes what she says doesn't make any sense and the words don't ad up together. Most of the time communication is very non existed really. Very difficult to talk to her too as she is hearing impaired. Her hearing was said not to have changed for several years yet she doesn't understand what I say. Even a simple Hello sometimes with a wave she'd be staring at me saying 'I don't know what you are saying". Other times she seems to understand a whole sentence with little double checking.
She managed to get herself a small pressure sore on her hip too, now healed. We now have an air mattress to help this.
I really don't know if anything would change if someone (whoever that is!) decides that this is EoL ...? Would we stop treatment of infections? Would we be given more help with proper/serious pain relief if she were to have a really bad day (we have codamol)?
(Obviously, we care for mum at home)
I read on here that a lot of peoples LO's really don't talk or even open thier eyes at EoL so maybe we are a fair way away from that yet.
She had a moment of unresponsiveness 2 weeks ago and ambulance that came were asking us about the Advanced care plan or something like that. I totally was thrown off as know we have a care plan with the social workers etc. We have a full PoA and already have DNR in place and GPs provided with the Adult with Incapacity paperwork.

Thanks!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
My 94 ear old m in law has been readmitted to hosp today- 3rd time since xmas. ~pneumonia that they simply nnot get on top of. very low sats, they take her in, put on the oxygen, iv antibiotics again.
Frank talk with dr tonight- if a second bag of iv anti B's show no improvent, thats the end, no more.

End of life, how ever long it takes.

I would have described her as cruising that way for a few weeks- now we are at the point of crux

dont think you are quite there yet

trus

Dec 28, 2023
My 94 ear old m in law has been readmitted to hosp today- 3rd time since xmas. ~pneumonia that they simply nnot get on top of. very low sats, they take her in, put on the oxygen, iv antibiotics again.
Frank talk with dr tonight- if a second bag of iv anti B's show no improvent, thats the end, no more.

End of life, how ever long it takes.

I would have described her as cruising that way for a few weeks- now we are at the point of crux

dont think you are quite there yet
Sorry to hear 😢
Hugs

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Hello @trus

Im so sorry to hear about all your Mother in law and your family have been through.

My understanding - and I could be wrong as I’m not expert or have any medical background - but I think palliative care is when someone is thought to be approaching the end of their lives and is concerned with ensuring the person is comfortable in ways that other medical staff might not always think of (ie, mouth care etc) and palliative care can run along side some treatments too. End of life care is when a person is considered to be in the last days or weeks of their life and is concerned with ensuring they’re free of pain, as comfortable as possible and whatever else. As I say that’s my personal understanding and I’m sure if im wrong someone else will put a correction shortly.

As for who decides, I think no one really. You’ll read how people are often told their loved one is on end of life only for them to rally and improve a bit. I think medical staff don’t want to falsely raise your expectations and are telling you to prepare for the possibility your loved one won’t survive whatever they’re suffering from. However no one can firmly say ‘this is it’, they can only tell you what they think is likely based on their knowledge and experience.

In my experience medical staff will treat your loved one for as long as you want (maybe to a point). My mother has been on end of life/palliative care for a number of weeks. She’s had 3 hospital admissions recently and they have warned us each time she may not survive but still treated and stabilised my mum until it became clear that continuing treatment was of no more benefit. Even then they still asked us if we wanted mum taking to hospital if anything occurred or to just give palliative care at her nursing home - so don’t feel like someone is going to forced you to make a choice right away or take a choice away from you. Sometimes nature takes it course and we don’t have a choice in matters of course. I hope you know what I mean - no one will just write off your loved one, they’ll always consider your wishes alongside what’s best for the person in question.

I hope your mother in law is okay and not suffering and that you have as much time together as possible.

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
I am so sorry @trus, there are so many twists and turns towards the end.

My mum was in a care home and she went into EoL relatively smoothly (if you can call it that). We did however remove oxygen, this was the only intervention that she had.

I am sure there are a few on here who will agree with me, you will know, you will know when the time finally comes.

Sending you love and hugs

Jxx

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Hi @trus, sorry to hear of your MiL’s situation. It’s painful watching those we love disappear bit by bit over many years.
My mum passed away just before Christmas but the previous year had seen a steep decline in her remaining functions. She would fall continuously in her care home, she lost interest in her favourite foods along with her main meals. Her weight took a big hit and she too had diabetes type 2 which for many years had been uncontrolled. She was eating so little they stopped non essential meds in November and discussed EOL meds with me. So they were issued at that stage.She would still get up everyday but by now was in a wheelchair so the falls stopped but she was very weak. Could still do a puzzle or two though☺️ food and fluid intake was minimal. She then had a massive vaginal bleed on the Saturday, but was not in any pain at the stage. Then in the night she was distressed and in pain, still bleeding so EOL was administered and she passed a week later.
I think you need a frank discussion with the GP. Ask them to review all her meds, decide what is really essential and dispense with the rest.
Sometimes we need to initiate these discussions as we are advocating for the person we care for. Quality of life is so important at this stage and you are probably better placed to know if your MiL would want to be kept alive, no matter what. I hope you are getting support too; caring can be a lonely experience and sometimes we forget to ask for emotional support. Take care,

trus

Dec 28, 2023
Hi @trus, sorry to hear of your MiL’s situation. It’s painful watching those we love disappear bit by bit over many years.
My mum passed away just before Christmas but the previous year had seen a steep decline in her remaining functions. She would fall continuously in her care home, she lost interest in her favourite foods along with her main meals. Her weight took a big hit and she too had diabetes type 2 which for many years had been uncontrolled. She was eating so little they stopped non essential meds in November and discussed EOL meds with me. So they were issued at that stage.She would still get up everyday but by now was in a wheelchair so the falls stopped but she was very weak. Could still do a puzzle or two though☺️ food and fluid intake was minimal. She then had a massive vaginal bleed on the Saturday, but was not in any pain at the stage. Then in the night she was distressed and in pain, still bleeding so EOL was administered and she passed a week later.
I think you need a frank discussion with the GP. Ask them to review all her meds, decide what is really essential and dispense with the rest.
Sometimes we need to initiate these discussions as we are advocating for the person we care for. Quality of life is so important at this stage and you are probably better placed to know if your MiL would want to be kept alive, no matter what. I hope you are getting support too; caring can be a lonely experience and sometimes we forget to ask for emotional support. Take care,
Thank you so much for your words.

Also many thanks to the above replies too (not sure how to tag you all)

I will have a chat with GP and see what they think. I was mostly interested in something assessible much quicker for pain relief as she does have very bad days sometimes. Every time you move her it's also very painful for her. I thought if my MIL could be considered as EoL we might get more help with that.
Watched my MIL eat a sandwich and it was really sad... think me feeding her is going to be a permanent stage for all meals. Before I only had to feed her tricky stuff, roast dinners, spaghetti etc. Today she was about an inch away from the sandwich when trying to pick it up.
My MIL always used to say if I get like this (seeing someone suffering from terminal illness or just old related frality) - shoot me! I would never want to live like that". Her personality has always been so strong and defiant, it's tragic to see all that gone and only a shade of my MIL left.
What I was reading since I posted, there is such a things as a 'surprise' test or something like that? To determine whether the person is likley to be at EoL. Something along the lines of if you would be surprised to think that a given person would die within weeks then its not EoL.

Also, so sorry to hear about your mum. It must have been quite distressing for you, especially with the bleeding issue...
Life choses different paths and endings, I lost both of my parents in the last 3 years and I couldn't even be near them (and I havent been for many years , living on a different continent) which always triggered guilt and regret. They both died farily suddenly (well, compared to dementia) and fairly young, which was diffult to accept. But I was given a chance to work through those by being here for my MIL. Seeing her every day losing a skill or the rollecoaster of her looking like she wouldn't last a day and then all as if nothing happened. Makes me always think, would I have wanted my parents to live into 90s and possibly be so confused and frail. Makes it easier to accept how destiny played their cards.
Lots of love to you all on here x

Chaplin

May 24, 2015
Bristol
Hi @trus yes I do think a conversation with the GP will result in stronger pain relief. My mum was on morphine in the weeks before her actual death as she would express pain but couldn’t say where specifically. It was very low dose but did give her respite. You are doing all you can and I’m sure that despite your MiL being hidden away amongst the dementia, she appreciates all that you do for her. It’s worth sharing her comments with the GP too, her quality of life is severely impaired and they should be offering you more support. Take care,

trus

Dec 28, 2023
Hi @trus yes I do think a conversation with the GP will result in stronger pain relief. My mum was on morphine in the weeks before her actual death as she would express pain but couldn’t say where specifically. It was very low dose but did give her respite. You are doing all you can and I’m sure that despite your MiL being hidden away amongst the dementia, she appreciates all that you do for her. It’s worth sharing her comments with the GP too, her quality of life is severely impaired and they should be offering you more support. Take care,
Thank you

Ryn66

Nov 30, 2023
Hello @trus . Sorry to hear about your MIL and it’s great you are able to care for her at home. I think my dad is at a similar stage. It so hard when he won’t open his eyes, even when feeding, he struggles with communication and seems to have lost interest in everything. He has good days where he can sit up and smile and attempts sentences but those days are very few now. We are waiting for a place in a nursing home for him but we struggle with the idea he has not long left so should he be at home? He needs 24/7 care which we would struggle to provide. It’s not knowing what to for the best for our LO.