What are the legal implications of removing my schizophrenic mother out of a care home, and taking her home?

EricJones

May 12, 2024

Hmm... I'lll try it on my Android phone, and if it doesn't work, I'll have a go with a virtual Linux on Windows 7, or a live Linux boot CD.

Suggest video conferencing for best interests meeting.
My worry about video conferencing with my family is, those can be recorded by organisation "X" I am not allowed to mention (not it's real name), for the purposes of information gathering and possible lawsuits. I know they install spyware on all of their computers to monitor their population - keyloggers in the old days, some hidden in the OS, others sitting surreptitiously between keyboards and computer cases... but because of so many people working from home during the pandemic, spying is now built into video conferencing platforms and must be agreed to in their legal triplespeak terms of use, because employers want to monitor how their workers use the time they're paid for. I'll push for meetings in person. I may have no choice but to video conference.

Last edited:

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
After emailing all of the directors of the NHS Mental Health Trust over two days, six replied with acknowledgements. I discovered via a receptionist that the manager of the Social Care Unit tasked with my mother's care had left a few months ago, and a new manager will start in a few weeks, so that non-existent manager's manager called me today. She sounded irked that I had emailed the directors. She said my mother's care worker claimed I had been invited to "Best needs" meetings twice. This is a lie - after I hadn't heard anything from my mother's social workers for months, the only time I was invited for an interview was after I started a complaint, was when the care worker rang saying she wanted to meet me the following day at my mother's care home 100 miles away during a train strike. I don't drive anymore by choice, because I have Central Serous Retinopathy in both eyes:

CSR is the new RSI for IT workers. Among other things, state mandated quacks think it might be caused by stress, and strong blue wavelengths emitted by LED screens - before their invention and widespread use, it was mostly airline pilots exposed to UV light in the upper atmosphere who developed CSR. Big black blobs appear in my middle vision every so often, for minutes at a time, obscuring my view of the world much more than they usually do. It shocks me that despite this, I'm legally allowed to drive... but I don't, because I want to risk others.

During the call with this manager, it seemed I had somehow pretty much been airbrushed from my mother's records. There was scant mention of me, and no record of my birth date. It was a long conversation, but I requested I be recorded in her Social Care record as "Nearest relative". The manager said I wasn't "Nearest relative", as defined by Social Care. I said I am, as defined by the Mental Care Act. I informed her I am recorded as my mother's oldest child in Court Custody documents. I also requested I be recorded as Next of Kin, but for now, haven't requested being at the top of the hierarchy. I don't know if either will happen. The manager said she'd call me again next week.

Thank you, I'll see if I can get a free session. However, the map on their "Find a solicitor" page doesn't work. I've tried Firefox, Opera and Vivaldi browsers on Windows 7. I may send this website a message:

It’s a few months ago but I think I contacted the website who sent a local list by email.

EricJones

May 12, 2024
Even trying to make a complaint through that NHS Mental Health Department's process is made difficult. The complaints process appears to have been designed to minimise the number of points complained about, and how much information can be submitted about those points. It's all conducted online - I made a lot of complaints during a phone call, then I received an email which I couldn't view because it was encrypted. To view the points of my complaint, I had to email back stating my mother's date of birth, in order to receive an unlocking code... only to discover only two points of my complaint had been written, and only two "Desired outcomes". There was also a typographical error, and one of the points was wrong. The letter started with "You were unhappy about a number of specific issues including". The word "including" suggested to my mind, that more had been recorded elsewhere about my complaint, but after I sought clarification, it appears not. It's just two points of complaint out of a large number, all of which I reported during my phone call.

There's also a consent form for my mother to sign - how can her consent be valid? She has been deeemed as not having capacity.

I've asked if they accept letters of complaint sent by registered post. At least with a letter, they will have to address it all?

Last edited:

EricJones

May 12, 2024
I'd go for live boot
It’s a few months ago but I think I contacted the website who sent a local list by email.
I recall trying to sue someone a few years ago. The first consultation was free, after which my "Legal team" appeared, as did their many eye wateringly high fees for doing goodness knows what. On a "No-win-no-fee" basis, such lawyers apply for funding from their resources, to cover fees until they go to trial, but the case has to be assessed for probability of success first, and if that isn't calculated at 60% or greater, you have to fund it yourself or quit. I worried that if I backed out at that point, I'd be stung with a huge legal bill for the fees accrued by my "Legal team". Therefore I'm quite careful about talking to lawyers. I'll see how the complaint via the NHS's internal systems pans out, escalate if necessary to the Care Quality Commission, complain to the local Council, the Ombudsman, then see what the legal possibilities are, if utilising the skills of lawyers.

Last edited:

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I recall trying to sue someone a few years ago. The first consultation was free, after which my "Legal team" appeared, as did their many eye wateringly high fees for doing goodness knows what. On a "No-win-no-fee" basis, such lawyers apply for funding from their resources, to cover fees until they go to trial, but the case has to be assessed for probability of success first, and if that isn't calculated at 60% or greater, you have to fund it yourself or quit. I worried that if I backed out at that point, I'd be stung with a huge legal bill for the fees accrued by my "Legal team". Therefore I'm quite careful about talking to lawyers. I'll see how the complaint via the NHS's internal systems pans out, escalate if necessary to the Care Quality Commission, complain to the local Council, the Ombudsman, then see what the legal possibilities are, if utilising the skills of lawyers.
Ok.