We need to sell our grandparents house for care costs….

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
Thank you. When I agreed to being LPA most of the family were close and I thought I’d have their support through it all. Since then things have changed and she’s declined so fast and I never really gave this day much thought. Now it appears to all be on me. The last thing I ever want is anyone to question me down the line as all I care about is my Grandmother. Everyone else is thinking about themselves and any inheritance they think they may get, and all I’m thinking about is her and releasing the cash to get her into a decent home. I’m not in great health myself, I’m the only one that visits her, so the only one that sees her decline and gets that upset and then I’m coming home to demands to hurry up and get the property sold so they don’t have to pay for her care. It’s just all so wrong.
You are right, it is all so wrong. Thank goodness your grandmother has one decent relative who cares. Keep doing your best to make your way through this incredibly difficult time.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
So sorry to hear of ur stress - I know how overwhelming it can feel.

I really recommend auction. They were much easier to manage actually than estate agents. They will provide you with thr absolute lowest price they will accept so I would go and get a quote for that. Just by calling and giving them access they will give u that figure and u can compare to the offer you have.

after 2 buyers pulling out I sold by auction and would definitely do so again!

JanG

Mar 30, 2024
Yes I am the LPA and other inheritors are no where to be seen for help and support and haven’t visited my Grandmother since I can remember. I told them that she was in hospital and they didn’t care, they just said ok I’m going out now so don’t ring back tonight I’m busy!! And they’ve put pressure on me and harassing me to hurry up and sell the house as they aren’t paying for her care. To be honest it’s really affecting me and causing me so much stress. All I want is what’s best for my Grandmother and to focus on finding her a nice care home and having the time to visit. That is purely why I would consider a lower offer, to get family off my back and so that I can concentrate on my Grandmother and less stress for me. I never thought my family could be so cruel.
If the family is giving you so much grief and harassing you about this, just stop taking their calls and messages! You’ve got enough on your plate without dealing with them. You owe them no explanations or updates, if you’re the only one doing anything towards helping your grandmother in her time of need. They sound like heartless vultures. I don’t know how things work in your country regarding real estate, so I can’t advise much on that, but hopefully, you can take the time to get a fair price for your grandmother’s home and that money can be used solely for her benefit.
Good luck to you as you go through this journey.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlight1