We have progress… at last!

SweetfannyAdams

Mar 16, 2024
Hi all
We have had some good news today. My dad has finally been assigned a “flexi bed”. The relief is unbelievable! He has been in hospital since early December after being admitted with a UTI. His condition has deteriorated rapidly and dementia has taken hold.
The hospital environment has been devastating for him.
We are celebrating this small victory and can’t quite believe that he will be in a home about three minutes away from his and my mum’s house.
However, there is still uncertainty! Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the flexi bed situation? We know it’s a means to assess his needs and capacity and that it isn’t permanent but that is all. Ideally we would like him to stay permanently in this home, due to proximity to my mum and the wider family and that it is somewhere he is agreeable to going (he’s not agreeable about much anymore)
Thank you for reading x

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Hi all
We have had some good news today. My dad has finally been assigned a “flexi bed”. The relief is unbelievable! He has been in hospital since early December after being admitted with a UTI. His condition has deteriorated rapidly and dementia has taken hold.
The hospital environment has been devastating for him.
We are celebrating this small victory and can’t quite believe that he will be in a home about three minutes away from his and my mum’s house.
However, there is still uncertainty! Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of the flexi bed situation? We know it’s a means to assess his needs and capacity and that it isn’t permanent but that is all. Ideally we would like him to stay permanently in this home, due to proximity to my mum and the wider family and that it is somewhere he is agreeable to going (he’s not agreeable about much anymore)
Thank you for reading x
Thanks for sharing your good news @SweetfannyAdams , although I haven’t any knowledge of a “flexi bed”. Hopefully it will be a permanent move for your dad.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Flat out line sleeping comes with issues, pressure sores or bed sores from being in the same position for too many hours.
Blood circulation can be an issue too, 8 hours horizontal in bed but 16 hours a day vertical works for most of us, 24 hours on your back isn't good for blood circulation either.
Regular change of positioning to spread the load like a flat bed I feel can only be a good thing, managed properly. K

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @SweetfannyAdams

When we got the hospital bed, we also got an air mattress and motor to prevent pressure sores, plus the satin shiny and slidy sheets (2 pairs) to assist in moving OH around in bed. We then had to ask for sides to the bed (to prevent OH falling out), and then for covers for the sides (to prevent OH getting her feet and ankles caught between the horizontal bars of the sides of the bed!).
Then I have to argue for about two or so weeks to get OT to get us an electric hoist and sling and a tilting chair with foot rest (adjustable) plus an air cushion (with motor) to prevent chair sores.
Result means that OH spends part of the day in bed in one room (what was our dining room) and part of the day in chair in lounge and thus, has a change of scenery.
If you have got all the equipment you think you need then continue to press LA ASS OT until you do get it!
Best wishes and a hug. Perseverance required!

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
sounds to me like a respite/assesment bed, rather a physical movable positioning bed.

Will he be able to stay there will very mich depend on the outcome of the assessment, and what residential ( rather than temporary) bed spaces they have.

fingers crossedthey can meet his needs and have spaces- because thats about the sum of it

SweetfannyAdams

Mar 16, 2024
sounds to me like a respite/assesment bed, rather a physical movable positioning bed.

Will he be able to stay there will very mich depend on the outcome of the assessment, and what residential ( rather than temporary) bed spaces they have.

fingers crossedthey can meet his needs and have spaces- because thats about the sum of it
@Jessbow , thank you for clarifying what we thought. We’re not out of the woods yet with finding him a permanent place but we are, at least moving in the right direction x

SweetfannyAdams

Mar 16, 2024
Hi @SweetfannyAdams

When we got the hospital bed, we also got an air mattress and motor to prevent pressure sores, plus the satin shiny and slidy sheets (2 pairs) to assist in moving OH around in bed. We then had to ask for sides to the bed (to prevent OH falling out), and then for covers for the sides (to prevent OH getting her feet and ankles caught between the horizontal bars of the sides of the bed!).
Then I have to argue for about two or so weeks to get OT to get us an electric hoist and sling and a tilting chair with foot rest (adjustable) plus an air cushion (with motor) to prevent chair sores.
Result means that OH spends part of the day in bed in one room (what was our dining room) and part of the day in chair in lounge and thus, has a change of scenery.
If you have got all the equipment you think you need then continue to press LA ASS OT until you do get it!
Best wishes and a hug. Perseverance required!
@Chizz thank you for your reply and best wishes. I think the term flexi bed has caused some confusion. I am talking about a temporary bed in a care home rather than a particular type of bed.
I wish you all the best in caring for your partner and much strength x

SweetfannyAdams

Mar 16, 2024
Flat out line sleeping comes with issues, pressure sores or bed sores from being in the same position for too many hours.
Blood circulation can be an issue too, 8 hours horizontal in bed but 16 hours a day vertical works for most of us, 24 hours on your back isn't good for blood circulation either.
Regular change of positioning to spread the load like a flat bed I feel can only be a good thing, managed properly. K
@Kevinl thank you for your reply. My post was obviously open to different interpretations. I am talking about a temporary bed in a care setting where he can be properly assessed. We are hoping that he will be able to get a permanent place there as it is in his home town and about three minutes away from my mum.
Many best wishes to you x

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlight1