Twelve months in, struggling.

seabobber

Sep 24, 2023
It's been 12 months since my partner was diagnosed with alzheimers, but showing signs long before. The biggest thing is hallucinations, particularly in the night, and frequent waking. I'm struggling with being continuously tired, and how to deal with the nightime episodes. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @seabobber

Medication may helo with disturbed nights if your husband`s doctor will prescribe it. They are often reluctant in case it increases the risk of falls.

Does your husband sleep a lot during the day time? Mine did and it was so frustrating. When he slept during the day I took the time to get household tasks done but with hindsight I would have been better off having a rest period for myself at the same time.

Would this be possible for you.

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
It's been 12 months since my partner was diagnosed with alzheimers, but showing signs long before. The biggest thing is hallucinations, particularly in the night, and frequent waking. I'm struggling with being continuously tired, and how to deal with the nightime episodes. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thank you.
My dad suffered dreadful hallucinations which made him paranoid and frightened. For myself and dad I’d have to say that was worse than any other symptom. Being vulnerable and alone (I’m 500 miles away), the voices he’d here were nasty and made him feel there were bad people going to get him.

Dad was already on Donzepil. I’m not sure if made any difference or not. Later dad was put an Risperidone (anti psychotic), just a tiny dose and he’s never heard a word since. He’s calmer, less anxious because he can’t hear the voices any more.