Truely care for and Respect my elders

9991Cyn

Apr 27, 2024
Hello my name is Cynthia I took care of my maternal grandmother for the last 5years of her life, with the rest of our family, well some of us. But I'm also experiencing some symptoms of what I am calling "early timers". 😕

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @9991Cyn.

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing symptoms. It’s good that you’ve found this forum as you will find understanding and support here.

I wondered if you would find this helpful -

HLA

Aug 16, 2021
Hello my name is Cynthia I took care of my maternal grandmother for the last 5years of her life, with the rest of our family, well some of us. But I'm also experiencing some symptoms of what I am calling "early timers". 😕
Hello Cynthia, I am sure your grandmother valued your care immensely. ❤️
There can be lost of reasons for cognition changes - I love your phrase early timers! - I'm not a medical person by the way, but the perimenopause and menopause also affects the brain. (There's no need for a hot flushes etc and it can be earlier than you think - Dr Lisa Mosconi is great on neuroscience and the female brain - you can see her website or books and studies and do some solid research). Also deficiencies in certain vitamins can also affect the brain massively.
Best option is to go to your GP or book in with a nurse as a starting point asap. Personally HRT has helped my brain cognition, mood etc - my mother has dementia, as did her sister , and both began with what seemed to be depression being the main sign. I think those of us who are carers are more sensitive to picking up those signs. Good luck!