Trackers

Dibdob69

Jan 9, 2024
Hi im looking for a tracker so I can track my mums wereabouts, she has just been diagnosed with Dementia and Alzheimers. Which trackers are best and I need a good range the ones I've looked at are short ranges so no good. Do they need a subscription?

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I have one called TILE. seems to work okay on a disabled boy riding his bike around the vacinity. its free one you have purchased the tile

Last edited:

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
If she will carry a mobile, life360 shows where someone is virtually by step. I’ve struggled with a good tracker but over Christmas found husband had been going into peoples homes so he can’t go out on his own now as no tracker can stop that.

NickP

Feb 23, 2021
We used a tracker with my dad a couple of years ago when he was wandering off. It went on his keyring & my mum & I could both track on our phones. He always insisted on having his keys in his pocket so that worked well. It had an initial payment, then a monthly subscription. It helped us find him on more than one occasion. We cancelled it a few months ago as he no longer walks off ... mainly sleeps now instead.

Dibdob69

Jan 9, 2024
We used a tracker with my dad a couple of years ago when he was wandering off. It went on his keyring & my mum & I could both track on our phones. He always insisted on having his keys in his pocket so that worked well. It had an initial payment, then a monthly subscription. It helped us find him on more than one occasion. We cancelled it a few months ago as he no longer walks off ... mainly sleeps now instead.

NickP

Feb 23, 2021
I'm not sure if we're allowed to name products - admin please take this down if I'm not... we used TechSilver. I can't remember the cost now but may be worth googling.

Sadlady

Dec 23, 2022
We have one that you have to recharge and pay a monthly subscription of £6. I have to send a text message from my mobile to the device and it comes up on a map. It doesn't follow the wearers movement so you have to text again. It's called Stray Star. My husband is at risk of wandering and is not left alone but it's worth having just in case. There is an Alz. Society article 'GPS devices' which is useful.

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
We've enabled Location Sharing constantly on my Dad's Android phone, and I have the password to log into his Google account. He is obsesses about his phone, so usually takes it with him. He wears various different coats, different hats, sometimes forgets his keys and has a couple of walking sticks, so the phone is pretty much the most reliable thing for us to track. If your person with dementia takes a phone out with them, it can be tracked pretty reliably, even if they don't actually use the phone. If it is in their bag/pocket, then it's useful when Location Sharing. Apple phones have the same capability.

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
Unfortunately, they do have to have the phone switched on ….
Could it be left turned on and then someone periodically charge it? It shouldn't depreciate in battery so much if it's only being used to share location. My Dad has no idea how to turn his phone on/off. He does know how to charge it, for now at least.