Tracker advice

Marymck

Nov 10, 2022
My husband has Alzheimer's.
He still very occasioally goes out for a short walk by hiself. He wants to do this as, I guess, it is still a way of showing some remaining independence. He does not recognise he has Alzheimer's,he just refers to it as his very bad memory.Also his cognitive deterioration perhaps also is a factor.
I hope someone could give advice on a reputable tracker which I could place on him, as I know he would not willingly take one nor understand what it was for.
Any advice most welcome.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I found this really difficult and couldn’t find something designed and fit for purpose. I got one and it could be hours out if date. SW was convinced lifeline type pendants do it but they don’t. I resorted to a ring doorbell to click him in and out and an Apple Watch with cellular to do ‘find my’ and if he is somewhere he isn’t supposed to be I can ring him - he rarely answers but it’s the best I’ve come up with. This isn’t absolutely accurate. Would he use a mobile - the life360 app is the most accurate I’ve come across. Our independence has just been curtailed after a deputation from some neighbours saying he is just walking into their houses and of course as it’s in his route the trackers can’t pick this up in t7ne for me to stop him. Hope that helps, apologies for the length.

Marymck

Nov 10, 2022
Thanks Ellie 2018.
I have tried to get him to use a mobile but it is too difficult for him.
If I could find one that just gives me peace of mind to know exactly where he is when he is out that would be great.
Thanks for your concern

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
Thanks Ellie 2018.
I have tried to get him to use a mobile but it is too difficult for him.
If I could find one that just gives me peace of mind to know exactly where he is when he is out that would be great.
Thanks for your concern
Would he take it out, life360 doesn’t need him to do anything but carry it, you track it from your phone. X

faengelm

My sister-in-law would wander, and my brother could not get her to wear a watch, a pendant, or a tag.

We came up with this solution of using a very small Bluetooth tag that he could clip to the back of her collar when she wasn't paying attention.

It didn't actually track her, but served as a "perimeter alert" and notified him when she went outside the bounds.

https://www.techenhancedlife.com/solutions/bluetooth-separation-alert-perimeter-alarm

2ndAlto

Nov 23, 2012
My OH carries a mobile phone which I can track on my phone - though it is questionable whether he can use the phone function or not, he has always used the camera function so he is happy to carry that. My next option is an Apple Air Tag on a key ring which I can add to his keys and again can track on my phone.

Kath610

Apr 6, 2022
Maldon, Essex
My husband has Alzheimer's.
He still very occasioally goes out for a short walk by hiself. He wants to do this as, I guess, it is still a way of showing some remaining independence. He does not recognise he has Alzheimer's,he just refers to it as his very bad memory.Also his cognitive deterioration perhaps also is a factor.
I hope someone could give advice on a reputable tracker which I could place on him, as I know he would not willingly take one nor understand what it was for.
Any advice most welcome.
Hello @Marymck , my husband has Alzheimer's too and exactly the same problems with wandering. I have found that the Ring doorbell is excellent because it tells me exactly where he's going when he leaves the house
My husband doesn't have a phone so the 360 locator isn't an option though I use it on mine and it's very good
My son recommended an Apple Air Tag (available through Amazon) as it gives a very accurate location. We got one and my husband has one on his keyring and one in his wallet. I can recommend it because we have already had to use it and it gave a very accurate location.
Hope this is useful to you