Threshold for funding

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
I am sure this will have been answers before on here but I cannot find anything. I was wondering what the financial threshold is when it comes to self funding. I am looking at day care or carers to sit at home with my husband and before asking for assessment wondered if we would be eligible for any financial help. I know it is means tested but is Attendance Allowance included in the sums?

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
If you have over £23,250 you are classed as self-funding and pretty much left to get on with it. If you want a sitter/carer etc. I was told by social its down to you to source one. I was also told if you need help finding someone they charge around £300 disgusting!!!!!!

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
Thanks for the info. One more question please. If my husband went into care and I decided to move can I do that without having to keep his half of the sale aside to pay towards his care, which would in effect leave me without enough money to buy somewhere else. Our savings at present are below the threshold.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
Yes have that in place. The more I read it looks like I can remain in the family home and that would not be taken into account when assessing payment of care home fees but if I sold with view to downsizing then my husband would be reassessed taking his half of the sale as part of his assets. This would effectively mean I wouldn't have enough money to buy anything else. If I look to sell now and in the near future he does have to go in to care and any profit is in my name then it could be taken that I had done so to avoid paying fees

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Yes have that in place. The more I read it looks like I can remain in the family home and that would not be taken into account when assessing payment of care home fees but if I sold with view to downsizing then my husband would be reassessed taking his half of the sale as part of his assets. This would effectively mean I wouldn't have enough money to buy anything else. If I look to sell now and in the near future he does have to go in to care and any profit is in my name then it could be taken that I had done so to avoid paying fees
It's a really hard one, I've tried to look into this and still not sure of an answer. Lets hope someone on here sees your post and can advice

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
As far as I am aware you can buy another property in both names - that is as your current home is owned - any money left over would be split 50/50 you and him.
Not sure how the legal side of things work if your husband has lost capacity and can't sign for himself - if he still has capacity then it is just like any other house sale/purchase - do you have POA with anyone else named that could act for him as you won't be able to act for yourself and him.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
Hadn't thought about the fact that you might but he able to buy another home in both names. Yes, our daughters are also on POA Bit of a mine field all this.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hadn't thought about the fact that you might but he able to buy another home in both names. Yes, our daughters are also on POA Bit of a mine field all this.
Hi @Blissy
Apart from having carers come in 3 x per day to help me with my OH, I have a "sitter" for three hours per week - taken in one 3hr session - from the charity Mind. Initially, the Adult Social Services suggested then, and to start with about 2 yrs ago, the LA paid, but because of their budgetary restraints last financial year, this service is now means tested. Mind charge in the order of £22 per hour in my area. I find this absolutely invaluable.
If you have over £23,250 you are classed as self-funding and pretty much left to get on with it. If you want a sitter/carer etc. I was told by social its down to you to source one. I was also told if you need help finding someone they charge around £300 disgusting!!!!!!
Hi @jay6.
I didn't pay anyone to find help. (I do pay for getting help)
Our Local Authority Adult Social Services produces each year a booklet about living independently, and in it is lots of info about services available in the area, either free or for which charges are payable. They list befriending charities, sitting services, care providers, etc plus information about places to attend for a PWD such as chat groups for the lonely, memory cafes, singing for the brain, etc etc. One can always look tings up online as well. As the local Carers UK, Age Concern, Mind, etc charities as well.

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
Thanks for the info. One more question please. If my husband went into care and I decided to move can I do that without having to keep his half of the sale aside to pay towards his care, which would in effect leave me without enough money to buy somewhere else. Our savings at present are below the threshold.
In England, the family home is disregarded in any financial assessment if you as a spouse are still living in it - so in theory if you move after the assessment it would be the same, as long as you kept your husbands name on the deeds. As I understand it, that is

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alisonhughes