The Long Goodbye: our new advertising campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
When my mum first asked me who I was to her, fairly early on, I was preparing for it. When she became aggressive and abusive , I was prepared for it. When she became doubly inconsistent, stopped talking, needed mashed food , all these things I was prepared for. They still up set me , it’s still a dreadful disease she is still being taken away piece by piece and I am devastated but having some awareness, knowing a few of the pit falls and being able to plan ahead to get things in place have maybe saved me more heartache. This has come with years of listening to people who are caring for LO with dementia, doing training programs with Alzheimer’s Society and using this forum. Any awareness raising is still so essential because most people still do not get it.
Being prepared has helped me too. And helped me to help OH. Knowing what might come and the awareness has been my way of coping. I'm a planner by nature. It's helped acceptance. This forum and peoples advice and experiences has been my lifeline. Thanks everyone 🥰

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
As a carer for a pwd I found it emotional to watch because I could recognise it myself. But I'm not so sure the general public who have no experience of dementia would find it hard hitting.

Angelsoul

May 22, 2023
I agree.
Very sad to watch for myself though, that is literally what happens..bit by bit.
I hate it. X

Lostinthisdesert

Apr 21, 2023
The message I would like to see in the public domain is that
1. Dementia is a destructive terminal disease of the brain
2. It is not purely a disease of the elderly. Younger people can get it. People who have a person with dementia in their lives suffer mental, physical and financial consequences
3. The disease could happen to you

Keithkat69

Mar 22, 2024
The new adverts are unfair to people whp have dementia and are aware. My husband was scared anyway thsnks you have with these advertd made him worse. So thoughtless!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
The new adverts are unfair to people whp have dementia and are aware. My husband was scared anyway thsnks you have with these advertd made him worse. So thoughtless!
Personally we give them a wide berth. Don't like'em and find them patronising, presenting labels & stereotypes full-on 😡 They should know better!

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I find this difficult. There’s was a radio cancer one saying what people couldn’t do because of how awful chemotherapy was - I contacted them and asked if they had considered how many people might refuse treatment and actually, I can’t admit it was nice but my chemotherapy wasn’t awful. I agree it’s thoughtless.

Fugs

Feb 16, 2023
The Alzheimer's advert just came up tonight. I promptly switched the TV off and said we are going to bed now. I am back to watching BBC programmes only tomorrow.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
At least I've seen the short film in this thread so as soon as it comes on I can switch over quick! Mind you, we don't watch much on rubbish ITV and C4.

At some point there might have to be further funds given to dementia care. Difficult, as the country's broke at the moment. Both major parties will probably agree on when and how to fund this and the general public may not be too pleased.
If I'd not come across dementia I may well just turn the advert off anyway.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Keithkat69 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about the effect of the advert on your husband. It is a difficult balance between informing people who don't understand because they are not directly involved and making things harder for people with dementia (and their carers). My wife is past the stage of paying attention to or understanding even the simplest messages. Even when she was still relatively aware she never thought of herself as having dementia. In fact I remember her comment to me that it must be terrible for people with dementia - in response to something on television - without making a connection to her own diagnosis.

Now you have joined this friendly and helpful community I do hope that you'll benefit from being able to share and discuss things here. You'll find empathy, true understanding and a genuine wish to help in any way that we can.

Lostinthisdesert

Apr 21, 2023
On the theme of 'effective campaigning' which came up earlier in this thread.
It is very hard to make our voices heard because those with dementia mostly lack capacity to shout for help and carers are so ground down and exhausted that that they lack the energy to shout for help. And probably feel guilty if not coping!
15 hours of free childcare for pre school children of working parents is provided by the state. This is very good for children and for society.
15 hours of free dementia daycare would make such a difference to PWD and their carers in the early years after diagnosis. It would improve and increase daycare provision, which is so patchy at present and it would allow unpaid carers to be productive and functioning members of society.
Money can be found if the establishment think it is important.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thought you would!
Horses for courses.

Another from the AR 'share the orange' stable

I thought that these two were so much better than the Long Goodbye one. They were factual and in an easily understood format. Sensible and address the issue of the decline and eventual death of the PWD. That is the first step in educating the general public.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi @Bettusboo , couldn't agree with you more. How many times are we told that extra money is being taken by government/local authority for social care. Where does that money go?
How is dementia downgraded to not being a medical condition but a social problem. Can you imagine the outcry if that was done to a disease that affected younger people.
And @Lawson58 I understand your point about voting but we don't have a political party who has any intention of funding dementia properly.
Imagine the difference if each PWD was given a day a week at a Dementia day centre with structured activity and a day's respite for the carer. I know many wouldn't want to go but it would help a lot of people
No election is ever about one issue so look for a candidate who has more interest in social issues.

By voting you can change governments which gives you a chance of getting something new.
Nothing ever changes without giving it a nudge.

Veritas

Jun 15, 2020
The problem with that ad is that it completely fails to present - or even hint at - the daily grind of caring for someone who is steadily losing functional capacity. No mention of the repetitive questions, the obsessions, the delusions (failing to recognise your son is not the same), the sundowning.... I could go on, but I won't.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
On the theme of 'effective campaigning' which came up earlier in this thread.
It is very hard to make our voices heard because those with dementia mostly lack capacity to shout for help and carers are so ground down and exhausted that that they lack the energy to shout for help. And probably feel guilty if not coping!
15 hours of free childcare for pre school children of working parents is provided by the state. This is very good for children and for society.
15 hours of free dementia daycare would make such a difference to PWD and their carers in the early years after diagnosis. It would improve and increase daycare provision, which is so patchy at present and it would allow unpaid carers to be productive and functioning members of society.
Money can be found if the establishment think it is important.
I agree. It's time pwd were given free day care. It would likely mean carers could continue caring for longer in many cases as it's the lack of our personal space that makes us sink.
Sadly I consider it state abuse of our vulnerable people that they are so neglected. Charities for the old and PWD need to push government to treat them with respect.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
No election is ever about one issue so look for a candidate who has more interest in social issues.

By voting you can change governments which gives you a chance of getting something new.
Nothing ever changes without giving it a nudge.
One problem at the moment is neither of the major political parties are speaking much about social care although health is mentioned a lot. I don’t think it is seen as a vote winner in the way that health is. Most people come into contact with health services but only a small proportion of the population is directly affected by social care at any one time. Louder voices speaking about the crisis in social care and the huge impact of staff vacancies for care providers might just change this. This campaign won’t change anything. Sadly I don’t think this is the intention anyway and is purely about fundraising.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
One problem at the moment is neither of the major political parties are speaking much about social care although health is mentioned a lot. I don’t think it is seen as a vote winner in the way that health is. Most people come into contact with health services but only a small proportion of the population is directly affected by social care at any one time. Louder voices speaking about the crisis in social care and the huge impact of staff vacancies for care providers might just change this. This campaign won’t change anything. Sadly I don’t think this is the intention anyway and is purely about fundraising.
Dementia is a health care issue though. It is not a social problem though mostly that is how people think of it, including governments.

Status
Not open for further replies.