The Long Goodbye: our new advertising campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAUL GAGIE

Mar 18, 2024
It's not offence, it's extreme upset which is different. Someone coming to this forum is actively looking, the adverts pop up on TV without you knowing.

Exactly.
I must admit I don't like these adverts either. Much like the mainstream news when it was announced that Bruce Willis and Julie Goodyear were diagnosed, it's all doom and gloom and claiming that someone loses a person with dementia again and again, and at the very end of one advert saying that it's Britains' biggest killer. When this advert was on today I don't know if mam processed it (most of the time she doesn't) I hit the mute button, but then again I do that with most TV adverts.

Margaret2020

Mar 23, 2020
Cheshire
Just to reiterate our content warning: this advert is very emotive and hard-hitting. If you are going through a difficult time at the moment, now may not be the right time for you to watch it. Here at Dementia Support Forum, we want you to prioritise your mental health & wellbeing. If you think this video might be a hard watch, please feel free to close the page.

If you are watching, the forum is here 24/7 to offer support and understanding. You might like to post in this thread about your thoughts and feelings.

If you'd like to speak to someone, please consider giving our Dementia Support Line a call. The line is open 9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday, 10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. The number is 0333 150 3456 (this is a national rate number and should be part of an inclusive national rate minutes allowance on landline or mobile contracts).

If you'd like to watch the advert, please scroll down.

i can’t watch it . suddenly i’m aware it’s on and have to distract my husband who is sitting in hard won (by me) peace and harmony to turn it off….

Will people give me much needed support or continue to turn away …. i bare my soul to ‘friends’ and ‘family’ but it makes it yet harder for me that i get little actual action . Look after yourself I’m told! so i’m going in to myself and feeling like giving up

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Yes an advert showing someone and their carer being given their diagnosis by a friendly smiley psychiatrist and then shown the door in to a complete void would be more like it. All the carers I have spoken with over the years have been so shocked at the complete lack of support, advice and information they get at the point of diagnosis. Anything in a campaign that gives people a starting point would be something , maybe some of the bigger charities need to get together and create an ad that speaks this truth for the people with the condition and their families.
Spot on, couldn’t agree more x

Margaret2020

Mar 23, 2020
Cheshire
The trouble is you don’t really get the choice unless you choose not to watch a channel with adverts. One minute you’re watching something on the TV with your partner with dementia and the next minute you’re watching this without any warning and it causes distress. The warning that it’s something you may wish to avoid is therefore meaningless.
completely with you here, i found what little i could watch …..that it was like an assault . Is this to get more donations, I think the effect of it has shattered me!

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
From my point of view, I find the ad OK, because I don't mind it, and my OH is beyond being able to follow it on tv herself, so she is unaffected by it.

However, the ad says something like "With dementia you don't just die once but again and again and again. That's why at Alzheimer's Society we'll be with you again and again and again" I don't understand this. The first is correct, but I'm really not sure about the second bit.

Apart from some material things supplied by the LA ASS OT - such as bed, mattress, hoist, chair, sling - and me choosing to be on this wonderful and helpful forum - wonderful and helpful carers, that is - I don't feel Alz's Soc is with me at all. I don't feel any institution is with me. Am I missing something? Presumably AS is with me if I turn to them for info or use their helpline.

In fact when my OH was diagnosed, some years ago, we had a LA ASS care assessment, and when they found out that on a means test my OH would be a self funder I was told in no uncertain terms "You're on your own. Here's a booklet with some helpful advice, info and tele numbers, but you'll have to sort out your own help if you want it" This was cruel, but accurate and we've been on our own ever since.

Therese L

Aug 26, 2022
Just to reiterate our content warning: this advert is very emotive and hard-hitting. If you are going through a difficult time at the moment, now may not be the right time for you to watch it. Here at Dementia Support Forum, we want you to prioritise your mental health & wellbeing. If you think this video might be a hard watch, please feel free to close the page.

If you are watching, the forum is here 24/7 to offer support and understanding. You might like to post in this thread about your thoughts and feelings.

If you'd like to speak to someone, please consider giving our Dementia Support Line a call. The line is open 9am - 8pm Monday to Wednesday, 9am - 5pm on Thursday and Friday, 10am - 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. The number is 0333 150 3456 (this is a national rate number and should be part of an inclusive national rate minutes allowance on landline or mobile contracts).

If you'd like to watch the advert, please scroll down.

I lost my Dad to Alzheimers on 16th Feb this year. It was a sudden decline, 3 days and he died. A big shock. He was in a care home. This is a much needed advertising campaign , the reality and cruelty of Dementia needs to be explained. We will be collecting for you at the celebration of his life. Thank you

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
From my point of view, I find the ad OK, because I don't mind it, and my OH is beyond being able to follow it on tv herself, so she is unaffected by it.

However, the ad says something like "With dementia you don't just die once but again and again and again. That's why at Alzheimer's Society we'll be with you again and again and again" I don't understand this. The first is correct, but I'm really not sure about the second bit.

Apart from some material things supplied by the LA ASS OT - such as bed, mattress, hoist, chair, sling - and me choosing to be on this wonderful and helpful forum - wonderful and helpful carers, that is - I don't feel Alz's Soc is with me at all. I don't feel any institution is with me. Am I missing something? Presumably AS is with me if I turn to them for info or use their helpline.

In fact when my OH was diagnosed, some years ago, we had a LA ASS care assessment, and when they found out that on a means test my OH would be a self funder I was told in no uncertain terms "You're on your own. Here's a booklet with some helpful advice, info and tele numbers, but you'll have to sort out your own help if you want it" This was cruel, but accurate and we've been on our own ever since.
Can't honestly say Alzheimer's Society was there for us either. Helpline and leaflets are all very well, but what I needed most was practical help i.e respite, and if you're self funding you need to sort it yourself. Actually, as I was caring for my mother, it was the fact that she was self-funding that mattered, even though I was the one who needed the break, and I was most certainly not self-funding on my carers allowance!

damaris

Feb 17, 2017
I have to agree that influencing social care structure and settings is a better way to spend the money raised for dementia charities. In my experience unless you have direct experience of this illness in your family or work you are very unlikely to contribute to the cause. The new ad didn’t work for me.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Ive now posted the ad twice on my FB asking for comments and thoughts. Absolute zero….I am sure when i post an Easter pic the likes will flood in….

Either folk have no interest in watching…..or do not know what to say,

I am interested to know whether research shows this type of ad works or not…..it clearly causes a lot of distress to sufferers and carers.

My instinct is that something less emotional BUT still real would be more effective

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Can't honestly say Alzheimer's Society was there for us either. Helpline and leaflets are all very well, but what I needed most was practical help i.e respite, and if you're self funding you need to sort it yourself. Actually, as I was caring for my mother, it was the fact that she was self-funding that mattered, even though I was the one who needed the break, and I was most certainly not self-funding on my carers allowance!
Yes I totally get this. If you have a PWD who is self funding then you are just left to get on with it. The lack of practice advice and support is shocking.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yes I raised an eye brow at this too. I haven’t had a pick of help from anyone apart from on this forum. Yes I did work in a Carers Centre and have been a carers advisor for many years but just something to let me know I was being thought of would have been nice. Leaflets are not really helpful and I did contact my mums local Alzheimer’s Society and I’m still waiting to hear back 5 years later. So not that impressive really.
See above, I mucked up the quote bit! 🙄

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I am interested to know whether research shows this type of ad works or not…..it clearly causes a lot of distress to sufferers and carers.
The declared aim is to increase awareness.
Most DSF members are already aware although some new members are disturbed by the harshness of the advert. Several members struggle to keep their PWD unaware.

I've not seen any mention of the advert on main stream media which indicates a lack of increased general awareness which could lead to an increase in perceived news value.
It may be different on social media, don't know as I do not subscribe.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
One thing that does get the media and general public interested in dementia is a potential cure.
There was optimism in a newspaper review this morning about a treatment being tested. The only thing was it's not expected to be available for 5 years (I've heard that before).

It's been estimated dementia costs the UK £16 billion. Most of this cost is picked up by carers, as opposed to heart disease (£13 billion) - the NHS pays most of this.
A 1p increase in income tax would raise approx £5.5 billion.
So a 3p rise would cover the lot - maybe this is where we're headed, whether people like it or not.

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I found this article written in the guardian.
It seems very well balanced and expresses many of the views posted on here
An interesting read
ive just read it and theres a lot to think about. one question came to mind was will people ever be willing to discuss dementia and be open to what it does to sufferers and those that care for them? would any advertizing campaign actually have people taking notice or are they just not interested?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
I`ve said it before and I will say it again - the advert is a very expensive waste of time, effort and money. Those not affected by dementia in any way, shape or form will purposely avoid considering it or talking about it because they see avoidance as a means of defence against it.

Status
Not open for further replies.