Supporting my sister caring for difficult parent with mental health issues

Missginny26

Apr 21, 2024
Hi all, I’m struggling to support my sister who cares for my difficult and abusive mother. My sister is divorced, her herself been abused by several partners and has mild learning difficulties and does a great job but struggles with mums behaviour as she has low self esteem.
Mum pays her a reasonable amount each month and also pays all thr house bills and food. My mother has always been difficult and I’ve spoken to her gp on several occasions but she’s yet to get any diagnosis. Her mental health has always been poor though.
A friend of mine who used to be an admiralty nurse says its highly likely my mum has some dementia altho not severe.
They argue alot which makes things v difficult at times. I have full power of attorney and manage mums financial affairs. She has more support than many people ever do.
My mum struggles with poor eye sight and mobility. She simply won’t recognise that my sister would like to go home for a break now and again and wants to go with her. She also can’t use stairs and my sisters bathroom is upstairs. These discussions result in frequent arguments and I’m struggling to cope with the stress as I have chronic pain.
I understand that my sister is entitled to 4 weeks paid holiday a year but she hardly gets anywhere near that in terms of time away. Mum refuses to go into a care home for respite either.
I’m tempted to involve social services and get a proper assessment but that will inflame things too. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

cymbid

Jan 3, 2024
Get social services to come out. Your poor sister cant go on like this. She deserves a life too. Having a history of abuse , the last thing she needs is for her needs to be put aside to save upsetting your mum. Bullies will always bully . Mum is just going to have to lump it

Missginny26

Apr 21, 2024
Get social services to come out. Your poor sister cant go on like this. She deserves a life too. Having a history of abuse , the last thing she needs is for her needs to be put aside to save upsetting your mum. Bullies will always bully . Mum is just going to have to lump it
Thanks for advice. Yes I’m sure you are right. My sister likes the life she has in alot of ways but mums mood swings make it so difficult at times when mums having an angry day, I do a lot to support them too.
Im definitely going to bite the bullet and involve SS.

diazsh

Apr 22, 2024
Spain
It sounds like you're facing a challenging situation, and it's commendable that you're seeking support and advice to help your sister and mother. It's important to prioritize everyone's well-being, including your own.

Given your mother's difficult behavior and potential cognitive decline, seeking a proper assessment from professionals could provide valuable insights into her condition and the best course of action. While involving social services might be a daunting step, it could also open up access to additional support and resources for both your mother and sister.

In the meantime, it might be helpful for your sister to connect with support groups or counseling services specifically for caregivers. These resources can offer valuable guidance, coping strategies, and a sense of community for individuals in similar situations.

Additionally, exploring alternative care options, such as in-home assistance or respite care services, could provide your sister with much-needed breaks while ensuring your mother's needs are still met.

Above all, remember to take care of yourself too, especially considering your chronic pain. It's essential to prioritize your own health and well-being as you navigate this challenging situation.

Missginny26

Apr 21, 2024
It sounds like you're facing a challenging situation, and it's commendable that you're seeking support and advice to help your sister and mother. It's important to prioritize everyone's well-being, including your own.

Given your mother's difficult behavior and potential cognitive decline, seeking a proper assessment from professionals could provide valuable insights into her condition and the best course of action. While involving social services might be a daunting step, it could also open up access to additional support and resources for both your mother and sister.

In the meantime, it might be helpful for your sister to connect with support groups or counseling services specifically for caregivers. These resources can offer valuable guidance, coping strategies, and a sense of community for individuals in similar situations.

Additionally, exploring alternative care options, such as in-home assistance or respite care services, could provide your sister with much-needed breaks while ensuring your mother's needs are still met.

Above all, remember to take care of yourself too, especially considering your chronic pain. It's essential to prioritize your own health and well-being as you navigate this challenging situation.
Thanks a lot for your kind words. It means a lot. I will definitely take on board your comments.