Struggling to get mum to open her mouth enough

Eare

Jan 15, 2024
My mum has no problem swallowing. My biggest issue is getting her to open her mouth wide enough to put a spoon in. She doesn't understand that the spoon will not fit - even my smallest teaspoon (which is tiny and narrow). When I ask her to open her mouth wider she gets frustrated and says she is, but she isn't and then gets frustrated that she is not getting the food off the spoon. Has anyone else had to deal with this issue and how can I help her? I can spend ages trying to encourage her to open it wide enough and sometimes she remembers how to for a few spoonfulls but then goes back to not remembering how to do it anymore. Some things I can feed through a syringe but it doesn't work for everything. It is frustrating because she wants to eat so it's not like she is refusing the food.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I can imagine how frustrating this must be for both of you! I’m not sure you’ll be able to persuade your mum to open her mouth as she seems to have lost the ability to do so but I wonder if the soft weaning spoons used for babies would make it any easier? I’m thinking of something like this. You would probably be less worried about accidentally hurting your mum with something like this.

Eare

Jan 15, 2024
I can imagine how frustrating this must be for both of you! I’m not sure you’ll be able to persuade your mum to open her mouth as she seems to have lost the ability to do so but I wonder if the soft weaning spoons used for babies would make it any easier? I’m thinking of something like this. You would probably be less worried about accidentally hurting your mum with something like this.

Thanks might be worth a try although I think my spoon is even smaller than this one but it is metal.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Would an invalid feeding bowl/ cup be of any help? They have a spout to use but is would need to be fairly liquid. There are lots of different sorts so try googling it.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
If she can speak OK, or to some extent, can you get her to say words that would make her open her mouth?

Just thinking laterally here!

If you could get her to say, for example, 'Oh, no!' or, 'How now brown cow!' or something similar, might she open her mouth enough for you to stick the spoon in?

Good luck!

Eare

Jan 15, 2024
If she can speak OK, or to some extent, can you get her to say words that would make her open her mouth?

Just thinking laterally here!

If you could get her to say, for example, 'Oh, no!' or, 'How now brown cow!' or something similar, might she open her mouth enough for you to stick the spoon in?

Good luck!
Unfortunately I can't get her to speak, she spouts out random words which are unintelligeable but as I have known her all my life I can understand half the time what some of them are trying to say

Eare

Jan 15, 2024
Would an invalid feeding bowl/ cup be of any help? They have a spout to use but is would need to be fairly liquid. There are lots of different sorts so try googling it.
she tends to push out a sippy cup with her tongue so I don't use it anymore.

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
Sadly I suspect this is purely neurological - 'faulty wiring' caused by damage to the brain may mean that the signals are not making it through. My Dad intermittently has the exact same issue. I have similar with swallowing due to MS (also damage to nerves in the brain) -even though I want to swallow, and tell my body to swallow, sometimes the muscles don't get the nerve messages and I can't!. Not much help I'm afraid, but I agree that coaxing her lips/mouth open with a soft rubber baby spoon might help and redices the risk of any pain or damage to her lips/gums/teeth etc x