Should we really go on a cruise?

BeHappy

Jan 13, 2023
I've flown with someone disabled but no dementia and would suggest that you request pre-boarding. This will mean that you can board the aircraft first and will be settled in your seat before anyone else enters the plane. The downside is you're on the plane for longer so take some sort of entertainment with you.
I think everyone with special needs, even the elderly or traveling with children will be onboard first but it's better to request pre-boarding so they'll know the situation and whatever happens during the flight, they have some ideas about what's going on.

Safi

Apr 2, 2020
Hello, I’ve posted this already elsewhere, but I flew to Kenya with my OH who has moderate/ severe dementia in October. Flew BA who were excellent, let the airline know & you can have assistance but doesn’t have to be wheel chair! My OH would not get into one! You just get fast tracked through & can pre board flight. Let stewardess know as soon as on board as they may not know. Get him to wear a Sunflower lanyard as most people recognise this as hidden disability. Going to the toilet on long flight was tricky as he can’t shut himself in! So we managed with curtains round the doors but again stewards offered to help stand by the door to stop others going by! Use some meds to relax him if needed. Speak to GP. I have added complication as he’s a smoker but patches & nicotine gum worked well! Wishing you luck on your trip. Try not to worry too much and enjoy it, but I totally understand how you feel. It is however an opportunity to make new memories, even if mainly for yourself and it sounds like your OH is looking forward to the trip. Good luck

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
Hi Safi thanks for this, very encouraging! I am not sure who to contact at BA (we are going with them too) but it sounds like they get it. A sunflower lanyard is a good idea too - maybe I can put my phone number on it in case he gets lost at the airport 😹

Saddy

Jan 27, 2020
Had our last holiday together a year ago to Caribbean. Carefully chosen hotel in private bay. Second day going back to room from beach I said had left my key in bag on the lounger, just one minute away. He said I’ll get it. Key wouldn’t open door. Deducted he had been in someone else’s bag! Beach quite empty, nearest loungers to us had white bag on same colour. I went and slipped it in and hoped for the best.
A relative took her dementia partner on a cruise. They had just returned to ship from a tour. Both stood on deck and he ran off, got ashore and didn’t want to get back on ship. I wouldn’t do it again spent the whole holiday watching him. Even had to take him to toilet or he just walked off wrong direction.

Bugs

Aug 27, 2020
We have just had a weekend away as a trial to see if he would cope with a weeks family holiday
in a holiday cottage later in the year. It was a nightmare. He could not settle, was up and down all night, became incontinent and I ended up in tears after he told me not to shout at him because I wanted him to wash his hands after going to the toilet.
Now we are home things have calmed down and harmony has returned. We will not be going away from his comfort zone again.

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
Has anyone managed to pre arrange flight support for PWD? I have no idea who I would contact and what to ask for. He is still pretty much in denial and would be mortified if they put him in a wheelchair or something like that.
Thanks everyone for your support and advice- no one else seems to understand what we are facing!
I flew from Oklahoma to Arizona with my dad in September (American Air & SW) to visit my sister. I registered extra assistance with both online. I emailed the situation to AA (silent disability) and SW had this as a condition when checking “extra assistance“. I emphasised that we could not be split up (my dad has trouble communicating sometimes, paticularly when stressed). AA was smooth and uneventful and FAs were great with him — very patient. SW didn’t really have a clue and I had to ask a couple of times at the airport for pre boarding passes. I did really need to be with him on SW as he couldn’t remember the no seat assignment protocol and the flight was in the evening.

My dad doesn’t have behaviour problems but does get quite confused. But he was so excited about the trip, I think he turned on and up his host mode for travel days. We went thru the regular security and he joked both ways with the TSA personnel 😂. He even got his first pedicure with me on the trip and was quite chuffed he had a new experience ”at his age”.

I would say pay attention to the flight times and have some tricks on you for any regularly difficult times of day. I made sure we had food and water, and ensured we both went to the bathroom before boarding (so he didn’t feel singled out) and was extra alert in the evenings. I also had maps and pictures on the phone, and Netflix downloads on the iPad.

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
Thank you Sapphire (from one Turner to another!) for this informative thread. My wife is slowly going down the dementia route. We had a family gathering in Norfolk last weekend and as we live in France we had to travel by ferry and a fair amount of driving. Lots of confusion of course and difficult at times on the ferry with her getting lost going the toilet, etc. I had hoped to get away for a bit of warmth this month, maybe Morroco, but after the advice on this thread and our experiences last weekend I‘m glad I talked her out of it. Going through the airports, completely different types of hotel, food and environment and maybe a crowded city centre would be way too much for her (and me!). The travel insurance issue was something else I hadn’t thought about before and the reminder was much appreciated. Back to the usual routine and things have settled back down. Thanks again - Jonathan

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thank you Sapphire (from one Turner to another!) for this informative thread. My wife is slowly going down the dementia route. We had a family gathering in Norfolk last weekend and as we live in France we had to travel by ferry and a fair amount of driving. Lots of confusion of course and difficult at times on the ferry with her getting lost going the toilet, etc. I had hoped to get away for a bit of warmth this month, maybe Morroco, but after the advice on this thread and our experiences last weekend I‘m glad I talked her out of it. Going through the airports, completely different types of hotel, food and environment and maybe a crowded city centre would be way too much for her (and me!). The travel insurance issue was something else I hadn’t thought about before and the reminder was much appreciated. Back to the usual routine and things have settled back down. Thanks again - Jonathan
Morocco can be very noisy, busy and confusing even for someone who hasn’t got dementia. You could perhaps think about somewhere easier like Tenerife. Lots of expats and people who speak English and quieter. If not there, choose somewhere that it can make things easier for you if you come across a problem.

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
Thanks for the suggestion Lawson58, but we have done Tenerife having had six January holidays there in the past seven years (missed one due to the pandemic of course!!). Loved the weather and the locals, but the last visit was particularly stressful due to the busy airports - plus we love our daily walks and we struggled with the terrain a bit compared to previous visits, so we will keep it closer to home in case of any problems or changes of mind.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Thanks for the suggestion Lawson58, but we have done Tenerife having had six January holidays there in the past seven years (missed one due to the pandemic of course!!). Loved the weather and the locals, but the last visit was particularly stressful due to the busy airports - plus we love our daily walks and we struggled with the terrain a bit compared to previous visits, so we will keep it closer to home in case of any problems or changes of mind.
Channel Islands?