Respect forms

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
I have just been sent the paperwork for respect Recommended Summary plan for emergency care and treatment,to read through and a nurse is going to fill teh forms out next week,mum has dementia and is bed bound,but I suppose this is just something that is good to arrange it has been mentioned to me a few times of late when I have spoken to them on the phone about ailements and at last the have sent the forms.
Can anyone tell me how this works,as I haven't got a health LPA just the financial one,so can they even ask me my views as mum has dementia she doesn't even know she is ill,so will they ask her anything?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry I can't help regarding the forms as I hadn't heard of the ReSPECT Process. I had a google and thought I would put the link here in case it might of interest to anyone -

https://www.respectprocess.org.uk

I didn't have Power of Attorney for my mum but her GP and the hospitals she was in always discussed things with me as if I had. I hope it's like that for you.

Annie Marie

Dec 29, 2023
Hello All
This is being introduced across the country.
Its is to enable a discussion between healthcare team, patient and family around DNR and end of life treatment. Following discussions, decisions can be made by the person themselves - if they have capacity. If not the healthcare team make decisions and I believe a person with POA can too.
I'm only just beginning to read about it - its not a legally binding document which I find very confusing.

We are currently being asked to complete this form and have a meeting on Monday.
I care for my Mum with dementia and a long term heart condition.

I've been told that they will assess Mums capacity - just by talking and asking questions.

I'm no expert on this, but as I say - reading to try and learn more.
There is a respect.org website.

Hope this helps a little.
Good luck.

I haven't checked yet but some guidance on the Alzheimer's websites would be good.