Repetitive routine contains problems

Partner/caregiver

Mar 1, 2022
Don’t you think, really, that you are tired because you have been working so hard, so hard that you should be able to forgive yourself if you lose the plot occasionally?

Frankly, I lose the plot quite often but I feel better doing it my way than bottling everything up. Been there and done that only to discover that I was quietly losing sight of myself, disappearing down the plug hole of insignificance.

I understand the value of routine but it can come at a cost if it rules your life.
It’s reassuring to know l am not alone in losing the plot sometimes. When l flip, l tell my partner that l am railing against the ‘mini crisis’, not at him personally. l agree, it doesn’t do one any good bottlimg it up.

Uzi

Nov 23, 2023
I think thats a common feeling - that we "aught" to be doing it ourselves and not have anyone else in the house, but thats madness. We are doing everything that we used to do, plus everything our OH used to do PLUS a whole lot more that never needed doing at all (like cleaning carpets and looking for "stolen" items)! So there really arnt enough hours in the day for one person to do it all
Here here well said I concur

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Please give the day centre a try. My oh is compliant and passive but he is very clingy. Seeks reassurance continually and he shadows me. I can't turn without him being behind me
He's been three times and is ok. He's sociable and doesn't always know who I am so he rambles to the carers🤣lucky them!

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
I so identify with those whose partners ‘help’. I could have written half of the posts here! Trying to cook and items being swiped to be washed up. ‘You weren’t using it’. Maybe not at that precise moment I wasn’t but that makes no difference to,him.
I seem to spend my time too rushing round trying to sneakily amend things he’s done (if he catches me he gets angry), find things that either he’s ‘tidied’ or else that he insists are ‘lost’. Evenings are for me to ‘find something on tv for us to watch’.
Respite? He can come over as perfectly ok to other people, ‘I’d never know he had Alzheimer’s!’. We don’t have transport so if I could find and afford anywhere locally it would have to be by bus or taxi. If he refuses….as someone else said, it’s physically impossible to force a man bigger and stronger than you are to do something.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I so identify with those whose partners ‘help’. I could have written half of the posts here! Trying to cook and items being swiped to be washed up. ‘You weren’t using it’. Maybe not at that precise moment I wasn’t but that makes no difference to,him.
I seem to spend my time too rushing round trying to sneakily amend things he’s done (if he catches me he gets angry), find things that either he’s ‘tidied’ or else that he insists are ‘lost’. Evenings are for me to ‘find something on tv for us to watch’.
Respite? He can come over as perfectly ok to other people, ‘I’d never know he had Alzheimer’s!’. We don’t have transport so if I could find and afford anywhere locally it would have to be by bus or taxi. If he refuses….as someone else said, it’s physically impossible to force a man bigger and stronger than you are to do something.
Our day centre does a pick up and drop off service. Several in our area do so worth checking. They also do a bath/ shower service for an additional charge of less than £10 for those whose pwd need help washing.. Our area charges £35 a day 9:30-3-30 plus £6 if you want cooked dinner. . Well worth it for some hours off 😘

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
‘Helping’ - I got the black bin out to put in front of the house for the bin men, went inside for more rubbish only to come out to find OH had tidily put it away. Bin Day is written in large letters in his diary. “I was just going to put that out the front” I said. “Oh, I don’t concern myself with the minutiae of housekeeping” says he.😤🤬🤯

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
‘Helping’ - I got the black bin out to put in front of the house for the bin men, went inside for more rubbish only to come out to find OH had tidily put it away. Bin Day is written in large letters in his diary. “I was just going to put that out the front” I said. “Oh, I don’t concern myself with the minutiae of housekeeping” says he.😤🤬🤯
Oops....the problem I found with diaries,and I had a weekly dry wipe plan on the fridge, is pwd never looked at it!

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
Oops....the problem I found with diaries,and I had a weekly dry wipe plan on the fridge, is pwd never looked at it!
I cross out the day before and highlight today. Mine studies his at length but still asks what day it is and if anything is happening.

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
Our day centre does a pick up and drop off service. Several in our area do so worth checking. They also do a bath/ shower service for an additional charge of less than £10 for those whose pwd need help washing.. Our area charges £35 a day 9:30-3-30 plus £6 if you want cooked dinner. . Well worth it for some hours off 😘
Thank you for that info,I’ll have a look round to see what sort of thing is available in this area. I’d no idea some will do collection . Makes it sound like bin day😀 Whether I could persuade OH to go is doubtful but thats another battle. Cant face it at the moment. He always says he’s perfectly happy at home thank you, doing his own thing. That’s the b******y problem!!! Him doing his own thing!

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
I even bought one of those digital clocks that display day/time/date. It worked for a while. Now he forgets to look at it and still asks me umpteen times a day. Same with the calendar in the kitchen.

Shem56

Aug 31, 2020
Oh dear I say every morning I must try harder not to shout in sheer exasperation at my husband. It lasts 15 mins if hes lucky. He now has less than a 2 minute attention span I tried to get him to do a jigsaw for 2 to 3 year olds he couldnt do it. A 4 peice chunky wooden jigsaw. I just wanted 5 mins where I wasn't constantly being asked the same question over and over ad infinitum. I did manage to get him into day care last week from 10am to 5pm one day a week £75.00 beleive me it is worth everypenny and more to give me a break. The down side of that is it was such a welcom relief I sat and stared into space just enjoying the silence for over an hour then felt guilt for not rushing round cleaning everything while I had the chance. I will try to be more productive this week

Shem56

Aug 31, 2020
I completely emphasise with you. When I lose patience with th my OH I berate myself for doing it . I know he cant help it. Just this week I feel he has deteriorated with his accusations and paranoia . At the moment he is still quite active and goes out independently albeit for a couple of hours daily. I try to do my bill paying and phone calls during that time he is away.

velademar

May 1, 2022
Ha! I doubt that is what it is like most of the time even for them
As for TV depictions of dementia, its pure fiction!

Welcome to a crowd of people who are honest and say what it is really like
xx
👍👍

LittleCat

May 26, 2023
Yes my OH comes across as relatively 'normal' when he's with others, so his family accuse me of fabricating/exaggerating his symptoms! They refuse to believe anything I've told them of my 24/7 struggle with his mood changes, paranoid delusions, confusion, disorientation, refusal to accept that he can't go back to work or drive a car, resistance to going out anywhere or having a carer come in, inability to concentrate on anything for very long, accusing me of stealing his tablets/keys/wallet, of not loving him, of having another man, of wishing him dead. It is mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but I love him so I just soldier on and keep hoping for a miracle.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Yes my OH comes across as relatively 'normal' when he's with others, so his family accuse me of fabricating/exaggerating his symptoms! They refuse to believe anything I've told them of my 24/7 struggle with his mood changes, paranoid delusions, confusion, disorientation, refusal to accept that he can't go back to work or drive a car, resistance to going out anywhere or having a carer come in, inability to concentrate on anything for very long, accusing me of stealing his tablets/keys/wallet, of not loving him, of having another man, of wishing him dead. It is mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting, I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, but I love him so I just soldier on and keep hoping for a miracle.
You are definitely not alone😘

Radam

Dec 6, 2023
My wife is having a hard time NOT thinking about her Alzheimer's. I work as a 1st grade teacher as I have stated before and am not home during the day. She looks up information about Alzheimer's and gets things stuck in her head that scare her. I talk her off the ledge each time, but it's really difficult to keep having the same conversations. I find that having all our friends in the loop about her condition helps when she is having these tough moments.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
My wife is having a hard time NOT thinking about her Alzheimer's. I work as a 1st grade teacher as I have stated before and am not home during the day. She looks up information about Alzheimer's and gets things stuck in her head that scare her. I talk her off the ledge each time, but it's really difficult to keep having the same conversations. I find that having all our friends in the loop about her condition helps when she is having these tough moments.
I'm sorry that's quite a difficult problem with no easy solution. . I don't honestly think my OH is aware he has dementia. He knows things are not quite right and expresses frustration but he has never acknowledged the word dementia even though we go to dementia cafes and groups.
I suppose your wife is doing what most of us do with a diagnosis for anything , follow up with a visit to Dr Google.
Others may be able to suggest a book with a positive slant to the disease which may help to allay some fears. I understand there are books written by pwd that she might find helpful
I think Wendy Mitchell is an author that is often recommended. .

Last edited:

Chris100

Nov 19, 2021
I even bought one of those digital clocks that display day/time/date. It worked for a while. Now he forgets to look at it and still asks me umpteen times a day. Same with the calendar in the kitchen.
I got the Alzheimer’s clock. Since I'm retired it helps me. My wife doesn't mention it, but I suspect she is aware.