Recycling bins.

pvl

Oct 11, 2022
We dont have people in our house, but I swear we have a space/time continuation shift. Some stuff disappears never to be seen again and other things that havent been seen for days/weeks/months suddenly reappear.
I'm so glad to hear someone else say this!! It drives my husband and I mad when we go to make my mother in law dinner and food or cooking utensils have just vanished. And there is always a denial or blaming someone else.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We dont have people in our house, but I swear we have a space/time continuation shift. Some stuff disappears never to be seen again and other things that havent been seen for days/weeks/months suddenly reappear.
I posted this last night and didnt realise that the autocorrect had butchered the quote and ruined the joke
It should (of course) say that there is a space/time continuum rift in my house.....

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
I posted this last night and didnt realise that the autocorrect had butchered the quote and ruined the joke
It should (of course) say that there is a space/time continuum rift in my house.....
Shift worked just as well.
Wonder if that’s where my spare specs went.

UncleZen

Dec 24, 2019
Q. What bin does this go in?
A. Blue bin
Wallks 12ft to the bins and puts item in the grey bin.
Welcome to my world

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Our ‘general’ refuse wheelie bin is Green and recycling one is grey, and we have the swing bin in the kitchen, yes, very confusing! When Pauline would ask which bin for rubbish there would be no problems with ‘kitchen’ bin but mention Grey or Green and she will stand and stare at both bins until guided to the relevant one.

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
I wonder if this is something to do with being unable to recognise the name of colours. My husband keeps pointing to things - like flowers - and saying 'that's a pretty blue flower'. The flower is yellow.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I wonder if this is something to do with being unable to recognise the name of colours. My husband keeps pointing to things - like flowers - and saying 'that's a pretty blue flower'. The flower is yellow.
I think thats extremely likely

I wonder whether it would help to identify the bins in another way? Ive seen sticky backed plastic pictures that could perhaps be stuck on the lid of the bin and used for identification

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
At least he tries to use the bins, more than mine does. lol
Locks on the bins sounds a good idea.

Nanny1086

Jul 24, 2022
Wondering if anyone else has this problem. The council have put a notice on my plastics bin and refused to empty it as OH had emptied a small pot of compost into it. Having cleaned this out I have now found the potato peelings in it. I suppose I’m lucky he can peel the potatoes!
hi , when we were given 3 bins and a Blue bag ,,, i contacted the council and said “ muppets husband is 81 and has got cancer and dementia,,, do you really think he will sort out all the rubbish for each bin/bag , “ she replied well can’t you do it ,,,, i counted to 10 ,,,, then another 10;,,,, then said ,,,REALLY ,,,, she finally said well ,,,” tell him to put everything in the green bin except for the garden rubbish ,,, “ loads of people do this anyway because they can’t be bothered , “ i would say contact your local,council and explain , they might be a bit more understanding under the circumstances, i hope so ,

Nanny1086

Jul 24, 2022
Q. What bin does this go in?
A. Blue bin
Wallks 12ft to the bins and puts item in the grey bin.
Welcome to my world

hi , sadly i live in your world aswell , it’s exhausting isn’t it , and you can’t get through to them ,,,, saying “ i’ll sort it out “ only makes it worse,,,, sadly i have no answer that resolves the problem, keep strong ,

Fotoliza

May 28, 2023
Hubby just cannot get any of the kitchen rubbish bins sorted properly and it is driving me nuts. He has never been the best at dealing with bins for decades, but as the council has three different large bins these days, black for general , blue for recycling, green for garden and the small food bin it is becoming a nightmare. I cannot bend down with back pain and have to sort through the mess before the bin liners go outside into the main refuse. He "can't be bothered" to make sure the rubbish goes into the liners bought to keep the bins and food caddy clean.
How to keep my patience is becoming a problem. I know he can't help it, but I am very upset about and don't know how to deal with it.

Many years ago a landlady yelled at us for a dirty dustbin in the kitchen when we were first married. She was mentally ill and totally "lost it" with us. It was nothing I had done. That was then, but now am I any better than that landlady? The situation is totally different because of hubby's dementia, but.....

McSuffolk

Feb 12, 2023
😞 Omg, the rubbish sorting issues drove me mad but eventually I left only one outdoor bin for mum to use, to reduce any confusion and extra work.
Had to chuckle one day … arrived and noticed the plastic kitchen bin had disappeared … looked but it was nowhere to be seen indoors. Discovered it in the outdoor bin. She’d put the bin out 🥴😁

Fotoliza

May 28, 2023
😞 Omg, the rubbish sorting issues drove me mad but eventually I left only one outdoor bin for mum to use, to reduce any confusion and extra work.
Had to chuckle one day … arrived and noticed the plastic kitchen bin had disappeared … looked but it was nowhere to be seen indoors. Discovered it in the outdoor bin. She’d put the bin out 🥴😁
Oh dear! At least I know it isn't just me going through this.:confused:

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
Hubby just cannot get any of the kitchen rubbish bins sorted properly and it is driving me nuts. He has never been the best at dealing with bins for decades, but as the council has three different large bins these days, black for general , blue for recycling, green for garden and the small food bin it is becoming a nightmare. I cannot bend down with back pain and have to sort through the mess before the bin liners go outside into the main refuse. He "can't be bothered" to make sure the rubbish goes into the liners bought to keep the bins and food caddy clean.
How to keep my patience is becoming a problem. I know he can't help it, but I am very upset about and don't know how to deal with it.

Many years ago a landlady yelled at us for a dirty dustbin in the kitchen when we were first married. She was mentally ill and totally "lost it" with us. It was nothing I had done. That was then, but now am I any better than that landlady? The situation is totally different because of hubby's dementia, but.....
Of course you are better! She had no reason for her tirade but you have constant aggravations every day which would try the patience of a saint. If you don’t have a huge amount to put out, could you for now just put more in the black bin rather than have to sort it out?

Fotoliza

May 28, 2023
Of course you are better! She had no reason for her tirade but you have constant aggravations every day which would try the patience of a saint. If you don’t have a huge amount to put out, could you for now just put more in the black bin rather than have to sort it out?
Thanks for your reassurance and thoughts. Also I am no saint, just trying to do my best.🙃
☺️

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Mine won't even put his rubbish in the normal kitchen bin let alone do the recycling :(

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
Mine won't even put his rubbish in the normal kitchen bin let alone do the recycling :(
Mine will walk out to the compost bin with a single banana skin when there is a pot full of other stuff to go. Or as the mood takes him, he will put the skin in the rubbish bin in the kitchen.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Mine will walk out to the compost bin with a single banana skin when there is a pot full of other stuff to go. Or as the mood takes him, he will put the skin in the rubbish bin in the kitchen.
🤣🤣 Had to laugh at that, can just imagine how mad that feels to watch. I often wonder if mine even remembers what the rubbish bin is for.