Rant - No shoe covers!

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Think so unhygienic that paid carers coming into the home cannot take off their shoes or wear shoe covers. Carpets are going to get terrible. Carers who have come here for months have not slipped whilst wearing very thin shoe covers but are now not allowed. Was thinking about a new stair carpet but not now! So disappointed.

Reds

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
How ridiculous. Could you buy a roll of carpet protector and lay that down. It isn't very expensive. Not sure how to add a link but just Google it. Amazon have it.

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
Why can't they wear shoe covers, if you provide them by the door? I would have thought that culturally, many people would expect shoes covered. I can see why removing shoes might be considered a safety issue, e.g. injuring their feet whilst moving/providing care, but surely shoe covers would be no hardship? No different to putting on disposable gloves. I would write to the care agency and complain.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Asking for shoes to be removed at the door, does introduce a problem for Carers or any other tradeperson, one of health and safety, even more so for those who are required to wear steel toed safely shoes.
Do they risk bare/socked feet, having anything dropped on to toes, even a tin of talcum power will hurt!
Walking across a carpet that is wet, (tea or wee?)
Plastic slip-on shoe covers, in my experience introduce a moveable layer between the fixed shoe sole and fixed carpet.
As a Carer, bent over the client, the last thing you need is for your foot/feet to slip insde the shoe cover.
Messy shoes are easy to deal with, scrap off under tap if needs be.
Messy socks can only be changed. (do you keep spare socks with you?)
Messy bare feet, how popular are you going to be tramping half way around the house to get to a tap?
An answer to the OP might be IF you have small number of regular Carers then to keep correctly sized indoor shoes available, that can be changed at the door.

Bod.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I live in a bungalow.

I had what I thought was a permanent dirty mark on our bedroom carpet caused by paramedics visiting my husband.

Would I have asked any of them, or carers, to remove their shoes? Certainly not. Health came before carpets in my eyes. I was too grateful for their attendance.

When my husband went into residential care the carpets were cleaned.

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
I provided the shoe covers myself and they used them for about a year or so. Just feels a shame now as most didn't mind.

When my husband had paramedics I didn't expect them to or mention them. It has been just for carers that had come in and out daily. Majority of the floors are carpeted. Might have carers for many years yet but definitely won't buy new carpets now. Some carers wear heavy boots and very thick big heels. I was thinking more of the hygiene because they are in and out of so many peoples houses and know some walk there dogs over the fields in same footwear.

I wouldn't want to walk into some ones home and mess it up. My husband has no heavy equipment and everything is out of the way, a clean home.

Thank you for replies.

Reds

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
I provided the shoe covers myself and they used them for about a year or so. Just feels a shame now as most didn't mind.

When my husband had paramedics I didn't expect them to or mention them. It has been just for carers that had come in and out daily. Majority of the floors are carpeted. Might have carers for many years yet but definitely won't buy new carpets now. Some carers wear heavy boots and very thick big heels. I was thinking more of the hygiene because they are in and out of so many peoples houses and know some walk there dogs over the fields in same footwear.

I wouldn't want to walk into some ones home and mess it up. My husband has no heavy equipment and everything is out of the way, a clean home.

Thank you for replies.

Reds
If you're thinking about new flooring, why not consider hard flooring, e.g. wood/laminate, to make cleaning easier? It's also much easier for mobility equipment, which is a nightmare on carpet (in my experience)?

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
I certainly wouldn't complain about the paramedics and in fact had same situation myself and cleaned carpet a few days later. However carers in daily is a different matter. I do know that carers coming to a relative left a pack of the shoe covers by her front door to pop on whenever they entered. Can't see why it should be anymore of an issue for paid carers. Wonder how they would respond if people walked in their house with mucky shoes!

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Thank you for suggestions and support. Husband wouldn't be able to cope with other flooring as he slides along. I don't think shoe covers are a big deal. Think perhaps one carer has made a fuss about them so it's spoilt the whole idea now. I think 'be kind' is needed more these days particularlyin care.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Shoe covers are a slip risk so I can understand why the carers would not use them.
i would thought as well that its health and safety as your house is their work place. also who would pay their wages if they slipped, fell and injuried themselves while wearing shoe covers. most wont get paid for the first week therefore no money coming in. also insurance might not be covered if the footwear is not safety.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have a cleaner. She comes once every two weeks and is in my house for two hours.

I have never asked but she brings indoor shoes with her and changes at the front door

When I had carers they were in the house for much shorter periods. They came from one house and went immediately to another. Often the changeover time wasn’t included in their pay.

I never asked anything of them other than they gave my husband the best service possible

Fotoliza

May 28, 2023
Think so unhygienic that paid carers coming into the home cannot take off their shoes or wear shoe covers. Carpets are going to get terrible. Carers who have come here for months have not slipped whilst wearing very thin shoe covers but are now not allowed. Was thinking about a new stair carpet but not now! So disappointed.

Reds
@Reds I totally agree about Carers/ visitors being willing to wear shoe covers. There are washable non slip ones available on Amazon. They are elasticated one size fits all. The other idea is having a washable bathmat in the hallway that soaks up any wetness from a rainy day.
Understood that paramedics won't have time, but carers should not be making more work by wearing dirty shoes.
We had a lovely continence nurse visit my husband. She trod in dog do from our street and immediately offered to clear it up from the hall and was on her hands and knees doing just that! She was a rarity! It is about repect for one's home I think.

These are the covers we bought from Amazon. FOCCTS Washable Overshoes Reusable Shoe Covers, 5 Pairs Flannel Overshoes Non-Slip Shoe Covers for Laboratory Computer Rooms & Daily Use Reusable Indoor Elastic Boot Cover 5 Colors

Best wishes, E

Last edited:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Most carers, in my experience travel around in cars- where do they pick up all this muck & wetness to tread in? basic manners you wipe you shoes on the mat but further than that....?

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
Most carers, in my experience travel around in cars- where do they pick up all this muck & wetness to tread in? basic manners you wipe you shoes on the mat but further than that....?
Some carers who come to my Dad don't drive. They come to the area on public transport and then walk between clients within a short radius of each other. He lives in a very urban area, close to the care offices and in an area with a lot of older people.

Fotoliza

May 28, 2023
The local dogs mess the verge so the carers and visitors cannot avoid the grass or dirt when they step out of the car. It has happened too often in our street.

JackReacher

Oct 22, 2022
I would love to just have that "problem" instead of everything else.
The care home provide the carpets and everything else, they clean them and replace when needed.
Further on down the line, bigger issues will be appearing that will take your mind off carpet perfection, Jack