Questions to ask home

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
The day I've have been dreading for 3 years is here.

Taking Ma to a care home next week. OMG, I'm in bits. šŸ˜­ šŸ˜­

Is there a pdf or somewhere I can ask questions of the home - such as personalisation and so on?

I know they won't allow a double bed (it's a residential and not nursing) and they want her furniture to be fire-proof? I know that she's used to her double bed so not sure how this single one will work.
I will ask if they allow her blankets and sheets (and get them cut to size)

And some furniture, I think?
My head is spinning. Sorry, thanks for any advice.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
You might find this link helpful. It gives some suggestions for questions to ask.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Toopie28

I hope the move goes well for you and your Ma next week. I always dreaded having to move my dad into a carehome but it went much better than I imagined it would and I soon realised that they could give dad what he needed better than we could at home.

Dad had a 4ft bed at home but adapted to a single one without any issues. I took him copies of his favourite photos and a couple of pictures for his wall. I also took a chair and footstool from his home, a bookcase and some books (he didnā€™t read by this time but I felt it made his room look more homely).

Donā€™t worry about moving everything in at once just concentrate on what you think will make your mum feel most ā€œat homeā€.

I visited the home the day before dad went in and his lovely manager told me the sort of things most people found useful to take in and what was allowed and said staff would be available to take the heavier items to his room. I was shown his room and given a quick tour (SS had arranged for a bed to assess so I had no choice on which home he went to)

I hated it at first but it soon became clear that it was the best thing possible for my dad.

Speak to the manager and hopefully they can help put your mind at rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFrazer