Point blank refuses a care home

Teddy24

Mar 21, 2024
I have recently joined this group as I see a lot of useful info being shared. My question is how do you get your parent into a care home if they point blank refuse to go and we are being told that as long as they refuse to go, there's nothing we can do.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome Teddy24. In a word, well phrase, not a lot, and I'm sorry to sound so negative your situation.
As long as someone has capacity there isn't a lot you can do as far as I know (UK England rules), so involvement from social services may help, vulnerable adult at risk possibly.
Plenty of key phrases, at risk of incorrect medication, poor hygiene, danger to themselves or others, not eating...any number of things can trigger a social services assessment, have a read around on here
Bottom line is that if a person has capacity and no issues of concern to social services (after they have done an assesment) then if they choose to go into care their assets, money, property could well end up paying for the care more likely than not, well pretty likely from what you say.
Let's say about 800 to 1,000 pounds per week in a care/nursing home as a rough figure for the care home or nursing home costs, as long as they have assets the state doesn't pay except for certain exempt circumstances.
I doubt you can get a parent into care without a Deprivation of Liberty Safeguarding Order (dols) or being sectioned under the mental health act.
Sorry if that doesn't sound too helpful but it's the state who puts people places against their wishes, families place people there.
Get social services on side, medical healthcare professionals or whoever but without agreement it's not something you can make happen or that many homes would agree to do without the legal framework.
Sorry I've read back and o sound pretty harsh but it is what it is and as you have been told nothing you can do to make someone with capacity go into care. K

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Who would you expect to be paying for the residential care, your parent or the Local Authority?
if the person themself you might have to wait for a crisis or hospital admission, when you might wangle transfer to a care facility.
If the LA funding is needed then it will depend on Social Services and they will push for keeping the patient in their own home for as long as possible.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Teddy24 , and welcome to Demetia Support Forum.
I think a lot depends on whether the person has capacity. I more or less tricked my mum into going into care as I knew if I didn't we would be shortly be facing a crisis, and I 'd rather have her cross with me than the alternative. The home had to apply for a Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards order to keep her there, and if the people doing the assessment had decided she could go home then of course I would have been back to square one.
Is there anyway you can sell it to your parent, not as a care home, but as a place to convalesce and build up their strength or as a bit of a holiday?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother in law was like this. She was self-funding and in her own home with carer visits. My husband recognised she should go into care but wasn't prepared to dupe her into care. My mother in law point blank refused to go into care and wouldn't even leave her own home not even for appointments. So we waited for a crisis scenario and eventually it arrived when she went into hospital. We arranged a care home for her and she never went back to her own home. We had lasting power of attorney for finances and health. In hospital the care home manager assessed her as suitable for the home. My husband assessed her as not having the capacity to understand her situation and what would happen if she returned home. The hospital were fine with our decision and we never involved social services whatsoever at anytime