Poetry

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Just had a lovely afternoon with my dad reciting poems together that he learned in school. I think that was something they used to do in education in the forties/ fifties and it is something he is still finding pleasure in. He can remember the poems ( with a few prompts). I’d be interested to hear from others who have found the same and to find out which poems are enjoyed. Today it was a poem called Sea Fever by John Masefield, which was a new one to me.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes @Bettusboo , mum could do the same. I found a book of poetry - The Golden Treasury of Verse - in her home. I would read a poem and she could recite it, so we would say it together. Her favourite was Daffodils by Wordsworth

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Yes @Bettusboo , mum could do the same. I found a book of poetry - The Golden Treasury of Verse - in her home. I would read a poem and she could recite it, so we would say it together. Her favourite was Daffodils by Wordsworth
I’ll look for that as a collection of poems would be good. We read Daffodils today and he really enjoyed it.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Just had a lovely afternoon with my dad reciting poems together that he learned in school. I think that was something they used to do in education in the forties/ fifties and it is something he is still finding pleasure in. He can remember the poems ( with a few prompts). I’d be interested to hear from others who have found the same and to find out which poems are enjoyed. Today it was a poem called Sea Fever by John Masefield, which was a new one to me.
My mum liked Pam Ayres poems. X