Plumbing Problem. Bit of a catch 22

SHarris

Apr 18, 2024
Hi,

My grandmother lives in a lovely assisted flat. However her reception room is open plan (kitchen, dining and living). We've reported to the people who maintain the building that the drain smells in her flat. However we have used numerous drain cleaners and unblockers. We have also spoken with neighbours who also reported the same problem and communicated to the maintenance team. Whilst they sort this out, how can we block the smell entering the flat? As said we have used numerous cleaners but we cannot put the plug in because we’re concerned my grandmother may flood the flat. We wondered if there was any sort of filter that water could still pass through and maybe smells nice or if just anybody has a hack. Any advice would help.

Thank you

Best,

Shaun.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Raise hell with the building managers, it's their responsibility to deal with it!

Bod

Fotoliza

May 28, 2023
Environmental health? Get either a motion sensor tap or one you have to press down? Just an idea.

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
Something similar happened at our home and it was the vent that went out the roof that birds had built a nest in. So all the smells that should have gone out the vent went into the house.

I don’t know if this will work but try pouring buckets of water down the sewer drain. Where I work this sometimes happens and the problem is the water in the trap evaporates. It usually takes about 4 buckets of water to stop the smell from coming out of the drain.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
We have also spoken with neighbours who also reported the same problem

Sounds like a blockage on drains causing a flooded chamber.
However the smell should not get past u-bend/bottle trap into house, any chance the drain for a washing machine does not go through a trap?