Personality vs Dementia?

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
I find with my sister that many of her old personality traits are also typical dementia traits. In addition, the more I do for her, the more she wants me to do for her, so I have to check myself and stop doing the things I know she can still do. There have been times for example when she's 'seemed' not to know how to switch the tv on, open the door, get herself a drink from the fridge - so I have done it for her. Day later when I had to pop out, I've come back in and there she is having been able to do all these things. It's not a case of remembering one day but not another, it's the fact that she's always loved and wanted to be looked after and waited on. Her double incontinence is also worse because she's wearing nappies and so doesn't feel she has to make an effort to get to the bathroom. Half of the time she could get to it in time. The fact that I'm the one having to clean her and all this up doesn't matter to her.
Can totally relate to that. They are very good at playing the victim when they want to. Funny how they can do things for themselves when they are on their own.

bakinghappy

Jun 28, 2023
Doesn't get any easier does it? Mine's always lied, unfortunately I didn't always realise. Now the lies are so obvious and really nasty ones.
I think it's because my OH had controlling behaviour which I hadn't actually realised Yes stupid I know! I thought he was just very selfish. Now I've been made to see things more clearly after being referred to a councillor.
The more control he looses, the nasty he gets! So no it's not the dementia! The dementia may just be adding to it unfortunately.
I didn't understand how to reply to others! Probably been replying to myself. I absolutely agree with your post. Everything familiar but far far worse. Take care xx

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
I didn't understand how to reply to others! Probably been replying to myself. I absolutely agree with your post. Everything familiar but far far worse. Take care xx
You take care of yourself too bakinghappy. xx

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Well I had to laugh today because apparently it's only abuse if you get hit or punched. Verbal isn't abuse, its just words said in temper and don't hurt anyone.
I've always been far too sensitive and should have been taught the old saying
Sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you.
Me told, So now I know 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Well I had to laugh today because apparently it's only abuse if you get hit or punched. Verbal isn't abuse, its just words said in temper and don't hurt anyone.
I've always been far too sensitive and should have been taught the old saying
Sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you.
Me told, So now I know 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
If only that was true 😢.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
I work for a DV organisation and I can confirm that verbal aggression most definitely is abuse and is against the law!! But hey, what do we know. @jennifer1967 is right, it is so much more damaging than being hit, it wounds you in a way that others can't see and destroys you.

hillyjay

Jun 14, 2019
I work for a DV organisation and I can confirm that verbal aggression most definitely is abuse and is against the law!! But hey, what do we know. @jennifer1967 is right, it is so much more damaging than being hit, it wounds you in a way that others can't see and destroys you.
Well said @JaxG . I’ve been told to try to grow a thicker skin. Sorry, it’s impossible. In my case, what has been said, stays in my mind long after the event. if you happen to be adopted, how do you ‘forget’ sneering, derogatory remarks about yourself and your birth mother. I’ve never written that down before and though it happened years back I can still hear every word and every look as he said it. Yeah, just grow a thick skin and learn to ignore it.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Like Chizz says a few posts back, we are here because we care, that simple.
We married (not me and Chizz) for better or worse, in sickness and in health, 10 years on here and as I've said before I'd do it all again if I could, tomorrow, in a heartbeat, because I was there for her just like I know she would have been there for me too, had it been the other way round.
Fair comment though, thick skin helps when you get bruised both physically and emotionally. K

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
i think it hurts more than a smack. it cant be unsaid either. i dont think how thick your skin is is thick enough. i do tell him off when i know he can understand.
Mine understands exactly what he's doing unfortunately Jennifer. It's just got worse when he can't get his own way.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
I didn't realise it was against the law Jax. That's interesting

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Well said @JaxG . I’ve been told to try to grow a thicker skin. Sorry, it’s impossible. In my case, what has been said, stays in my mind long after the event. if you happen to be adopted, how do you ‘forget’ sneering, derogatory remarks about yourself and your birth mother. I’ve never written that down before and though it happened years back I can still hear every word and every look as he said it. Yeah, just grow a thick skin and learn to ignore it.
Its easy for anyone to say 'grow a thick skin' but it does destroy parts of you.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Like Chizz says a few posts back, we are here because we care, that simple.
We married (not me and Chizz) for better or worse, in sickness and in health, 10 years on here and as I've said before I'd do it all again if I could, tomorrow, in a heartbeat, because I was there for her just like I know she would have been there for me too, had it been the other way round.
Fair comment though, thick skin helps when you get bruised both physically and emotionally. K
It's nice to know you cared enough to do it all again. Unfortunately I'm really struggling because I know it's not just the dementia and I know he would never have done what I have which doesn't help. You can care and help if it's in your nature but there does reach a point when enough is enough.
He's gone into respite for couple of weeks which I'm really want him to enjoy. He wasn't the slightest bit bothered when I left, just said 'please don't leave me in here' but so cold. No kiss, no hug, nothing. I said I hope he enjoys it and at least he will have a break from the ******* misery who keeps 'picking' on him. To which he replied. No I'll miss you, that's all just words, just temper.
I had to pop back a few hours later as they needed a copy of P.O.A. The women in charge said she'd had a long chat with him to get to know him and said he is very 'with it' and knows exactly what's going on. That he enjoyed his lunch and joined in with the activities.
When I arrived he was sitting with his back towards me, chatting and laughing with one of the residents, who turned out to be someone he'd met a few years ago. John saw me and waved, told OH who waved but didn't bother to even turn round to see me.
Was nice to see him ok and enjoying it but really did hurt.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Do lots of things You want to while he’s on Respite and don’t visit unless you want to (that is not the same as feeling you ‘should’). My OH is mostly lovely, but my ex husband was a bully and nasty controlling man who had left both my children completely messed up so I understand where you are coming from, Looking after someone with dementia is difficult and hard work when we love them deeply, I do not know how you survive it when the love has been eroded by years of mental and/or physical abuse. Enjoy enjoy enjoy the Break.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Do lots of things You want to while he’s on Respite and don’t visit unless you want to (that is not the same as feeling you ‘should’). My OH is mostly lovely, but my ex husband was a bully and nasty controlling man who had left both my children completely messed up so I understand where you are coming from, Looking after someone with dementia is difficult and hard work when we love them deeply, I do not know how you survive it when the love has been eroded by years of mental and/or physical abuse. Enjoy enjoy enjoy the Break.
Thanks Knitandpurl, I intend to. I'm going away for a week's holiday with daughter so won't be able to visit then but siting here at moment feeling guilty about not wanting to go before the holiday. I know I shouldn't.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Go fly away jay6, we will still be here when you get back, forget about the world for a while and have some you time, you deserve it. K

JaxG

May 15, 2021
I'm the same, my OH has said some terrible things - like I came to the marriage with nothing, he had a house. I will never forget these words, said to his wife of 40 years, the woman who has brought up our 3 children, who has managed every single part of our lives.