Patsy and I (Warts and All).

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
What a pair of glamorous sunbathing ladies - I bet they turned a few eyes!

It must have been hard work being single mum’s in those days. All credit to both of them. Patsy’s mum looks like she took great pride in herself and her daughter - I can imagine she had her own stories to tell too.

I do love reading all this stuff. Thanks for sharing Colin.
Turned some eyes, certainly mine!

You can be assured of that, we are enjoying sharing our past.

This is all for our memory album.

We are pleased to be sharing with you all.

Love Patsy and Colin.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
@nitram

We have searched as you suggested and have plumped for Bognor pier.

An easily reached destination from London for a seaside day out.

pier-7.jpg

Colin.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Looks like a good choice.
Here's a prize for your hard work.
20230202_164017.jpg.png

Last edited:

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
Thank you @nitram

I had heard about colourising but never gave it a second thought.

That is stunning, a new way to view things, I will try it out a few times.

A much appreciated reward.

I owe you a 🥂 and 🍻 and Patsy raises her G&T
17009250996611907246172940986346.jpg

Sorry a bit blurred, still in her housecoat.

Colin.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I had heard about colourising but never gave it a second thought.
Plenty of free online options, watch out for watermarks needing £ to remove, start with a simple trial image for speed to discover any pitfalls.
When searching use colorize.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
Patsy was not cut out for mundane office work.

She had always wanted to be a doctor, but without any ‘A’ levels and a university education there did not seem to be a likely route, undeterred she she went into nursing, training and working at Edgware General Hospital.

Nurse Patsy - Faces Blurred.jpg

This she stuck with for many years and when she started dating a chap who she would eventually marry.

This picture is alleged to be the wedding party.
Husband, Patsy’s mum, Patsy and AN Other
PW_Mum_Richard+1_Blurred.jpg

Patsy married at a registry office in September 1967 (on the same date in that month that was my 21st birthday) what a strange coincidence!

She thought that Lady Luck was shining down on her, as he promised to help her through her further education and exams to enable her to achieve her goal of becoming a doctor, and he asked her to support him through his further education to achieve his chosen profession. She worked and he went to night school, gained his professional qualifications.

Well he reneged on his part of the deal. Patsy changed career and went into the oil industry.

She divorced in December 1975 vowing never to trust a man again.

Colin.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
What was I doing from 17 to 21?

Well very little really except to say a four year craft apprenticeship got me fully into engineering.

(Last week I couldn't spell engineer, now I are one).

From 21 to 30+ it was working, partying, dating, think about starting a business and finally in 1968 getting married. Two girls followed born 1972 and 1976.

Patsy meanwhile having left nursing and divorced decided to try her hand at finance. She had an excellent mathematical mind and great analytical skills.

Having joined an American oil company with an office in London who were drilling in North Africa she seems to have found her niche and spent a few years travelling extensively to the US (Huston and LA) also North Africa and occasionally South America.

Being single she could just pack and jump on a plane when asked. She had bought a house in Putney and was only a short cab ride to Heathrow. She enjoyed that phase of her life and made many friends both Brits and Americans.

The political changes, upheaval and ultimately sanctions imposed on American companies working in North Africa ultimately lead to Patsy deciding yet again to change careers.

In the late ‘80s our then government, planned to sell off Public utilities. In order to ‘Sell’ them there needed to be a group of Economists and Analysts able to inform people of the viability of those businesses for investors and the general public, Patsy joined a Merchant Bank and started anew.

Well, she had the time of here life!

When the sell off's were well underway time for a new interest. Why not try Politics.

PW Referendum Part.jpg

By now Patsy had more or less decided to retire, as Personal computers were available and the internet was making a big impact and enabling the ordinary person to access financial information virtually instantly.

So by 2000 Patsy ‘retired’, settled in her home office and made a living ‘Playing the Markets’.

Colin.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
All very interesting biographies.

Could you spell guage and vacume‽
I always had my Col(l)ins English Dictionary, toolbox edition.
Now we are blessed with predictive text.
But nothing can survive in a vacuum.

Colin

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
What was I doing in the 90’s

I was restless in my chosen career of Environmental Control systems. I was at a dead end.

A change of job would perhaps suit me but first of all what and how?

Close to where I lived in South Bucks was the Berkshire Agricultural College and they ran a Marine Engineering course, in 1994 nearing middle age I shut down my business and went back to school.

When my C&G exams were completed and the results published my grades were high enough to be ranked among the top in the country. Hardly surprising given my age and that most other students not much more than 20 to 21 years old.

Accolades all round and an award ceremony at The Palace.

CB_HRH_01.jpg

Now what to do with myself? I had always enjoyed opportunities to Lecture/Teach practical subjects and I was offered a job at the same college to teach certain practical subjects, which I accepted for a year's contract, but that didn’t work out.

I was then told that because of a congenital defect I needed my aortic heart valve replaced. I opted to have a mechanical valve replacement in 1998.

in 1999, having recovered, I closed up my house and took a year off to travel the world. Aiming to land in Sydney for the millennium.

Saw in the new Century from the Royal Botanical Gardens (Mrs Macquarie's Chair).

Returned to the UK in July 2000.

Colin.

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
A new Millennium and new lives.

Patsy was retired and had ambition, with a General Election in the offing she decided to stand up for her beliefs and became a parliamentary candidate for Putney in 2001.

Although she lost her deposit she learned a lot.

If you work it out please feel free to send me a PM.

We are just about there for the separate lives of Patsy and Colin

Now we have Patsy with time on her hands and exceptional keyboard skills, PCs widely available, the internet in ascendency. Last but not least a website called Friends Reunited!

I was on there also just expecting to find a few old school mates.

I posted this very non committal message on my old school class section of that website in late August 2001.

‘ Hi all past pupils, Married and living in South Bucks. Colin’.

One reply that I received will be in my next post.

Wait for it...................................

Colin.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
A new Millennium and new lives.

Patsy was retired and had ambition, with a General Election in the offing she decided to stand up for her beliefs and became a parliamentary candidate for Putney in 2001.

Although she lost her deposit she learned a lot.

If you work it out please feel free to send me a PM.

We are just about there for the separate lives of Patsy and Colin

Now we have Patsy with time on her hands and exceptional keyboard skills, PCs widely available, the internet in ascendency. Last but not least a website called Friends Reunited!

I was on there also just expecting to find a few old school mates.

I posted this very non committal message on my old school class section of that website in late August 2001.

‘ Hi all past pupils, Married and living in South Bucks. Colin’.

One reply that I received will be in my next post.

Wait for it...................................

Colin.
ive been reading all your posts. dont wait too long leaving us on a cliff edge. i remember friends reunited as well.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Awww, come on, Colin! Next installment, please!

By the way, I'm not dyslexic but whenever I see your name I read it as Cobaltpen 🤔
😁

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
Awww, come on, Colin! Next installment, please!

By the way, I'm not dyslexic but whenever I see your name I read it as Cobaltpen 🤔
😁
I have to say that it is better to be associated with being a Blue Pen, than censored with the dreaded Red Pen 🤣😂.

Caring role permitting, to be continued tomorrow.

Colin.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Oooh you and Patsy had such interesting stories and you haven’t even hooked up properly yet!!!
Taking a year out to go to Oz and Patsy going for parliament - wow!

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
I've won a coconut!
Yes and well deserved.

Do we miss the Bank Holiday fair on the local Rec?

Roll up, Roll up. Three balls for a tanner, win the Lady a prize,

Ahh the simple life.

Colin 😚 to you all.

Nostalgia ' ain't wot it used to be. 😄

colpatben

Dec 27, 2022
On 30th August 2001 this email drops into my then In Box.

I have redacted almost nothing but the addresses.

How many people do you know who have kept paper copies of 22 year old emails?

Friends Reunited_email_01.jpg

I replied the following day:

Friends Reunited_email_02.jpg

Always in love.

Colin.