Our personal fundraising challenge

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Good Luck Owen !

Hello Sally & Owen , Positive Vibes coming your way for Good Weather ! & glad you having a enjoyable Holiday ( so far ) & hope the Pasta Meal went well !

Take care both of you & All Best Wishes to you all

Love Grove x

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Thank you!!!!!

We have had our instructions for the boat - we'll collect it at approx 5.30am tomorrow!!!! :eek:

We've got the kayak. I've just tried it out. :eek::D

I'm sure it caused much amusement for everyone in the vicinity!!! Me, in my swimming costume, leggings puuled up to my knees and a t shirt. In the pouring rain. On a kayak with my Dad! :D

What we discovered is that I'm actually useless at paddling a kayak! When we paddled together we were excellent.....at going in anticlockwise circles! :eek:

It's been heavy rain all day today and the forecast for tomorrow is the same. Never mind. We'll all enjoy it anyway! :)

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Kassy very kindly started a support thread on the day of the swim. I thought it would be good to give a final update on this one, to make it complete.

In summary - HE DID IT!!! On Friday 8th June my lovely husband, Owen, swam approx 11 or so miles in 6 hours and 15 mins!

He was very tired immediately after, but soon perked up and has been absolutely fine since!!! He's had no soreness, stiffness, aches or pains, and no sickness or illness as a result. By the next morning he was just back to his normal self. :)

Here are a few pics from the day...
These are some of the preparations. Me and my Dad trying out the kayak the evening before, in torrential rain - we were absolutely useless bu had a lot of laughs trying. Our slightly overloaded support boat - at 5.30AM!, and Owen getting ready to start.
P1010501 - Copy.JPGP1010504 - Copy.JPGP1010507 - Copy.JPGP1010518 - Copy.JPG

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
And just a few more....

P1010536 - Copy.JPG
The actual swim

P1010541 - Copy.JPG
We were joined by a family of swans at one point

P1010566 - Copy.JPG

P1010574 - Copy.JPG
The finish is in sight - we were finishing at a jetty in front of the hotal in the middle of the photo

P1010610 - Copy.JPG
A photo taken today. This gives a lovely view - but that is only HALF of the lake!!!!! :eek:

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Thank you Sylvia.

I just can't believe how he swam all that way, so quickly, and hasn't been affected at all. He thought it would take 8-9 hours!

Pied said to me on the phone, "he must love you so much to do this for your family" I reckon he's one pretty special person. :)

We couldn't have done it without the family and friends who supported on the day, especially my parents and my Uncle (who's the man in the pic on the boat)

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Thanks For The Photo's

Hello Sally ( & Owen ) Am glad Owen is ok he must be Super Man :) as he did not have any stiff / sore limbs etc the day after the Swim ! Also many thanks for the Photo's it brings back :) memories as we had a family Holiday very near there ( Ambelside ) & went on a Boat Ride on Windermere ! It is a lovely area !

Well done to both of you once again

Love & Best Wishes to you all

Love Grove x x

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Thank you Grove.

I lived in Yorkshire until I was 13. Every Easter was spent caravanning in the Lakes withj family and friends. Very happy memories. One of my favourite places :)

sallyc

Aug 20, 2008
suffolk
Just a final update on Owen's Windermere swim. The final total raised was a massive £2022.56 for Alzheimer's Society.

I'm so, so proud of his achievement, and the fact that he did all this for me, my family and especially my lovely, lovely Grandad :) :) :) :)

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
WOW Sally !

Hello Sally , £2022.56p THAT IS A TERRIFIC AMOUNT ! :):):) WELL DONE YOU & Owen for the AMAZING TOTAL ! ! :):) & positive vibes A S & the Research Team find new ways of helping Dementia Sufferers . Hope you feel very proud of all the money Owen made & what he did for your lovely Grandad :) Hope you , Owen & all the family have a lovely , lovely Holiday & you come back rested

Thank you once again Owen for doing such a TERRIFIC Swim !

Love Grove x x