On holiday

sue2108

May 9, 2023
Hello
I’m currently in Tenerife with my lovely husband - in an all inclusive contained complex near the airport. I was very worried about whether we’d actually get here due to his other health issues , and I’m very happy to be here.
Night before we left was difficult as he kept asking about his suitcase, unpacking things to check, etc etc. over and over again.

I booked special assistance at Manchester airport which was a huge help - help with checking in bags, and then going through security. The chap didn’t mind at all when hubby emptied his pockets one sweetie at a time, followed by the squeaky thing he likes to carry round😂😂. The only issue really was waiting for the assistance as we were behind a large group of maybe 40 students with parents, carers and teachers I think. No time for airport shopping 🙁but wheelchair right to the gate , jumping the queue, which upset some people in the queue.
I booked private transfer to the hotel which was great and fast.
Hotel is fab but our room is about 20 minutes walk at his speed to the restaurant, so Ive rented a wheelchair for the duration and when he says I don’t need that as he forgets how far it is I say you can push me ! This is working well so far.
I’ve realised though that we can’t really go anywhere outside the complex due to his needing the loo very often. Is there any kind of easily portable device or should I try to get him to use a bottle?
Having said all that it is lovely to be away in the sun with no cooking and I’m making the most of it - probably be the last trip abroad I think, before he deteriorates too much with this horrible disease.
All inclusive with all meals, drinks, live music which he is absolutely loving - and a restful sea view for me😊- highly recommended.

After his emergency life saving operation 12months ago I’ve learned to plan ahead a bit while still taking one day at a time and living in the moment . Holidays at home booked up to October now so I have something to look forward to.

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
Glad you and your husband are having a good time.

I keep hoping I can convince my husband into going on a short trip. One of my fears is his and my using the loo. What do you do with him when you need to use the loo? I worry that my husband would forget where I was and start roaming around looking for me and end up getting lost. Also some places have 2 exits out of the loo. Have you had problems with your husband using the wrong exit?

I’m looking forward to reading of your next adventure.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
When I used to take my husband away for trips we used the disabled access loos. We both went in no matter who needed to use it! It was the only was I could be sure he wouldn’t have wandered off if I left him alone.

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
When I used to take my husband away for trips we used the disabled access loos. We both went in no matter who needed to use it! It was the only was I could be sure he wouldn’t have wandered off if I left him alone.
Thanks for your answer. I mostly see the disabled access loos inside the lady’s loo. Did you just take your husband inside the lady’s loo? Did your husband object?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Ah! No I only encountered that once - and I was really annoyed. It was in our local railway station.

In airports I always found disabled access loos were situated outwith the ladies or gents loos. I never had to take him into a lady’s loo. We just left the train station and hoped we got home in time!😱

I had a radar key, which opens all disabled access look. Most of the ones in places like motorway service stations are separate but locked. You have to go and ask for the key. If you have a radar key it will fit any loo. I got one from our council as my husband got attendance allowance. I bought others online so that carers and family members could take him into looks if they had him out for the day.

https://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk...i2NC5Kt1T6y2_DSWucQxLqdolOXG_aNRoCc5sQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
Ah! No I only encountered that once - and I was really annoyed. It was in our local railway station.

In airports I always found disabled access loos were situated outwith the ladies or gents loos. I never had to take him into a lady’s loo. We just left the train station and hoped we got home in time!😱

I had a radar key, which opens all disabled access loos. Most of the ones in places like motorway service stations are separate but locked. You have to go and ask for the key. If you have a radar key it will fit any loo. I got one from our council as my husband got attendance allowance. I bought others online so that carers and family members could take him into looks if they had him out for the day. https://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk...i2NC5Kt1T6y2_DSWucQxLqdolOXG_aNRoCc5sQAvD_BwE
Thanks this is a huge help for me and probably others on this forum.

sue2108

May 9, 2023
I use disabled loos where possible- I have a radar key though only been able to use this once on top of the Great Orme in Wales.
He has an Apple tag in his pocket and a find your child app on his phone. The loos here are very nice and so far only one entrance/exit.
He presents as highly functional, and can manage in the loo himself so far. As long as he can see me he’s fine 😊

DeeCee7

Oct 13, 2023
Enjoy your holiday @sue2108 it’s so good to see you seizing the day! We have enjoyed cruises and have made friends with couples where one has had dementia. They are very wheelchair friendly too, and might be an alternative holiday avoiding airports. But it does take longer to get to the sun!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Same here @Izzy ,. No privacy but at least both know where each other is!

sue2108

May 9, 2023
Pluses outweigh the minuses so far.
No cooking for 6 days ++
Warm, relaxing, by the sea ++
All inclusive ++
Live music for him to enjoy ++

He can eat as little as he wants- or as much of what he likes so 3 slices of chocolate cake for dessert after saying he wasn’t hungry. ++
Slight minus this morning as they didn’t have cornflakes which upset him, but I persuaded him to have coco pops instead.

Hotel staff being great - I told management that he might get lost or be a bit confused.
Using the wheelchair even though every time we leave our room he says he’s fine. ++

Just spent half an hour last night adjusting his shirt / says he doesn’t like it. Eventually asked me if he had another shirt which so far is ok.
I was watching Race across the world ++ and sadly ignored him for a while.

Minuses 🙁- same as at home really, asking the same questions over and over, not knowing where he is ( Are we going out in the car today?) , how are we getting home? Not realising we are heading for the airport.

I’m really glad we’ve done this before he’s deteriorated too much, as it’ll probably be our last trip abroad.

I’ve taken lots of advice from this forum and I hope this might help others 🤞🏻🤞🏻

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
well done you. So glad it works out well, with only minor upsets. I am from Indonesia and looking forward to the race across the world ending in one of our islands in Lombok

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
well done you. So glad it works out well, with only minor upsets. I am from Indonesia and looking forward to the race across the world ending in one of our islands in Lombok
Hello, Lenny. We lived in Indonesia for 10 years - there are such beautiful parts to visit. Unfortunately I never got to Lombok, was in Bali ready to go but sadly my Dad died suddenly so I had to go home. Still love Indonesian food but it never tastes quite the same if I make it! My OH and I often use bahasa words.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Hello, Lenny. We lived in Indonesia for 10 years - there are such beautiful parts to visit. Unfortunately I never got to Lombok, was in Bali ready to go but sadly my Dad died suddenly so I had to go home. Still love Indonesian food but it never tastes quite the same if I make it! My OH and I often use bahasa words.
ah, salam kenal... we miss it so, especially when the sun persistently hiding these weeks in UK