Nursing home screening questions???

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Mums deterioration the past few weeks has hastened this need. Fire fighting at the moment but keen to put something more sustainable in place.

I’ve picked up about not going for the shiny posh homes and observing the care - and asking what dementia behaviours are NOT accepted, but what other questions would people recommend I ask?

Am I right in thinking not everywhere wiii accept CHC / FNC? I don’t think there’s any mileage in CHC yet but possibly FNC due to the complexity of her physical health issues,

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
In short, you'd have to ask each individual home what they do and dont accept.

Some homes are purpose built to allow wanders to go round and round...and round- an old victorian house converted clearly wouldnt manage a wanderer.

Activities? Some relatives say ''they just sit in front of the TV dozing...... I didnt have a problem with that- Yes there were things going on in the activity room, but they were not for my mum ( A baking session Iremeberwas like nurseryschool- ''Pass the bowl to Gwen let her have a stir') My mum had no nterest.
At 84, partially sighted with dementia, she used to give the carer a very strange look, when she asked to if she's like to do some colouring in......... But you need to decided what might or might not suit your Mum'

Are there food choices?
Is there structure to the day? Is it flexible? ( Does severyone go to bed at 9pm, or can they manage people who would rather go later? Likewise, getting up.
Do they allow open visiting?
Do they allow you to take your mum out?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks @Jessbow

Those questions about routine are really helpful. Mum is not an early riser and in her period of respite 2 years ago she was facilitated to keep to her desires there. Sadly that was out of our current area.

Like ur mum she’ll just be happy to sit in a lounge and watch TV and be taken out for a push in wheelchair

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Am I right in thinking not everywhere wiii accept CHC / FNC?
Not all homes accept the CHC rate.
Home must have nurse on duty for FNC, no reason to not accept FNC, argument can be is it included in standard nursing home fee or not - does resident get it knocked off bill?

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
A couple of years ago I was looking for homes for both my mother and my mother in law. They were both in their nineties with advanced dementia, but had/have very different personalities. For instance a home in a small old-fashioned house would suit my mother in law, but not my mum who always like things modern. A large home with some residents who were rather loud would have scared MiL, but mum would take it in her stride. It’s not very scientific, but I think ‘feel’ is important. You need a home that will meet your mum’s needs, but also feel like a home to her.
Do ask if you can about financial security of the business. The small old-fashioned one I really liked, folded less than a year after I visited. If either of them had gone there, it would have been even more upheaval for them.

Muttimuggle

Dec 28, 2021
I also asked..."How many staff work here and how long have they been working for you within this home?" (and this could include, not only carers but also cleaners and kitchen staff) ....as a fast turn around of staff can indicate job dissatisfaction, potentially uncomfortable working conditions. Also - "How long have the management been managing the home and if there has been a change, why?" It all just helps in understanding how comfortable the environment is for staff -as this, of course, will reflect upon the residents.
Have you been looking at all CQCs online and checking to see if there are no glaring problems? The other thing I think is important is, having shortlisted some possibles, I went to visit more than once, and at different times of day. It was pointed out to me then, that things can look quite different in the morning to just before tea time.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m going to start the phone round…

I will have lots of questions myself about realistic expectations. In terms of continence - what should I expect??

So at the moment I take mum every 3-4 hours and she is generally dry in the day as a result. If I ask her tho she says no she doesn’t need to go…..if left to herself she will tell me she wants to go as it is coming out.

Is it realistic to expect a nursing home to take a proactive approach like that with continence care???

Ie - every 4 hours ‘come on xxxxxx, let’s go to the loo on the way / way back to lunch/ dinner etc ‘……or am I in cloud cuckoo land with that?????

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
I’m going to start the phone round…

I will have lots of questions myself about realistic expectations. In terms of continence - what should I expect??

So at the moment I take mum every 3-4 hours and she is generally dry in the day as a result. If I ask her tho she says no she doesn’t need to go…..if left to herself she will tell me she wants to go as it is coming out.

Is it realistic to expect a nursing home to take a proactive approach like that with continence care???

Ie - every 4 hours ‘come on xxxxxx, let’s go to the loo on the way / way back to lunch/ dinner etc ‘……or am I in cloud cuckoo land with that?????

My dad’s nursing home carers definitely used to take dad to the loo on a schedule during the day so I assume it was the same for the other residents who needed reminding.

Helly68

Mar 12, 2018
Specifically ask, what behaviour can you NOT deal with.

Honest homes will make it clear their parameters around violence/wandering etc. In some instances they can be accomodated (care home staff loved my Mum, despite her hitting them) but it is best to be honest from the start. We told her care home that she had Bipolar Disorder as well as dementia. Give them their due, they deal with a number of issues compassionately.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thanks all - these responses are Sooo very helpful 😀😀

Where would we be without the combined wisdom of this forum.

My brother is doing initial emails. He has found one with shiny bells which is probably a no go, but then another which looks far more suitable …and although full presently is Definately worth exploring in more detail.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can look at employment agencies to get an idea of staff churn.
Some agencies have a section for employee comments - to be read with the usual caution.

Start by searching care home jobs to find agencies

ScaredyCat

Mar 31, 2019
Thanks all - these responses are Sooo very helpful 😀😀

Where would we be without the combined wisdom of this forum.

My brother is doing initial emails. He has found one with shiny bells which is probably a no go, but then another which looks far more suitable …and although full presently is Definately worth exploring in more detail.
Please don't automatically ignore the new/modern/ large homes. My mum, MIL and FIL are all in one. MIL residential floor, FIL (now 101!) on nursing floor and mum on dementia floor. People on all floors get together for activities in the morning and afternoon ( if they want to).There are also specific activities for the dementia ward. Mum has been bowling and to a trip round the village and to a church choir practice. They've had a bbq, magician, singers, animal visits, including shetland ponies and the home have their own bunnies. The staff try and have a one to one chat with all the residents every day. Nearly all the staff know mum, FIL and MIL and know me by name too. There are a number of nurses there; some specifically dementia nurses. There is a wide selection of food. I was asked what mum's normal routine was when she moved in and all her likes and dislikes. All the staff including maintenance, cleaning, kitchen staff have had dementia training and they too are always lovely. The manager seems to know the names all 80 odd residents. Plus they don't use agency staff.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
thanks

I phoned the all singing and dancing one today and a few queries to see what’s normal:

1) they run a slider on fees. So the more staff hours it takes for you to have ur wash, whether u need the hoist etc - the more cost, I knew if u needed 121 that was v expensive but hadnt heard of a sliding scale. Is that the norm??

2) No phones allowed in memory unit at all for clients. To prevent hassling families - but mum wouldn’t but yet can answer - she wouldn’t be able to make a call.

3) all toiletries locked up to prevent consumption. In case the person that did went into ur room???

4) I tried to tease out what was unacceptable behaviours - and they said anything threatening safety. I didn’t get a clear answer on being verbal.

I don’t think we will pursue as could be as much as £2700 per week but interesting to know what’s usual - please any thoughts are very welcome from those who have been there before!

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Are they a member of a group?
It could be group policy which might shorten your list.

ScaredyCat

Mar 31, 2019
thanks

I phoned the all singing and dancing one today and a few queries to see what’s normal:

1) they run a slider on fees. So the more staff hours it takes for you to have ur wash, whether u need the hoist etc - the more cost, I knew if u needed 121 that was v expensive but hadnt heard of a sliding scale. Is that the norm??

2) No phones allowed in memory unit at all for clients. To prevent hassling families - but mum wouldn’t but yet can answer - she wouldn’t be able to make a call.

3) all toiletries locked up to prevent consumption. In case the person that did went into ur room???

4) I tried to tease out what was unacceptable behaviours - and they said anything threatening safety. I didn’t get a clear answer on being verbal.

I don’t think we will pursue as could be as much as £2700 per week but interesting to know what’s usual - please any thoughts are very welcome from those who have been there before!
Does your mum need nursing care? As in has she any illnesses unrelated to dementia?
Mum's home is in East Sussex/Kent which has more expensive homes anyway but the home charges £1700pw for FIL nursing care, MIL residential ( though they will be moving her to the nursing floor soon as now neither she or my FIL are mobile) and mum for dementia care. So the cost is the same regardless of care level and this particular home is the second most expensive of those within my area. £2700 is astronomical and does sound like 1 to 1 care.

Are relatives free to come and go or phone at any time of the day and night ? This is the case at mum's home so if it is with the one you were looking at then they will just transfer the call to a mobile on the dementia floor whenever you want to speak to your relative.

Other residents wandering in and taking stuff from someone else's room is expected, accepted and unavoidable. This is why all toiletries and medication are locked away and I, maybe incorrectly, assumed this would be the case for all dementia care home. It also stops mobile but less mentally able residents from ingesting things they shouldn't. It took me a while but I'm now very used to mum wearing other people's clothes and having other people's books and teddies etc in her room, while her own are missing. This behaviour seems to be totally normal and doesn't seem upset other residents.

If the home is a good home I think once someone is resident it would only be a worse case scenario that they would be asked to leave. If being verbally aggressive is going to cause an upset then the home, in my view is rubbish. I would imagine if it is only if the resident is a physical threat to staff or residents' safety that they'd have to be removed.

Personally, I would judge by how interested they are in both your relative and yourself, as opposed to whizzing round for a look round and doing the sales talk. The head nurse was genuinely interested in my welfare and discussed in great detail what her thoughts were about mum's behaviour (from what I was telling her). She gave me advice on what I could do if mum wasn't going to be in a home. One of the most important things to me is that the nurses liase with the gp and mental health worker to tweak mum's medication and diagnosis without me having to get involved in the logistics at all. That in itself is such a relief.

One more thing. This sliding scale sounds odd. I looked at several large/flashy homes for mum and have never come across this. Check how many carers there are per resident and how many nurses. I think mum's is 1 carer per 5 residents, 1 nurse per 20 residents and 4 activities staff for the whole home. Plus reception, dining, kitchen staff get involved alot too. And, I said this before, but they don't have a high staff turnover or agency staff. Any shortages and they swap and change with staff from another site.
My thoughts on a smaller home is that less residents means less chance of meeting someone you get on with or find interesting and, presumably (?) a smaller variety of activities and entertainment. Though the plusses would be a cosier family atmosphere.

Last edited:

Muttimuggle

Dec 28, 2021
thanks

thanks

What's your gut feeling about this one? I can only go by my visiting of many care homes before my mother was admitted to one. To my surprise my mother was eligible for residential care, despite her dementia- this may not be the case for you? I went to see a number of dementia homes or mixed dementia/ residential and I was never quoted anything about a sliding scale for fees. There are a lot of rules there - What positives did you register? Did you sense there to be a feeling of kindness?
My mother could no longer use a mobile phone.She was losing that ability before she got there.I can phone any time and the phone is passed to her.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thank you 🥰🥰 I so appreciate this space to reflect with people that know the score and have been there 😀😀

Sadly mum has a rare physical illness which requires nursing, I’m going to punt for FNC but that will be a battle for another day.

This particular home wasn’t a strong contender on paper but I am trying to keep an open mind.

I spoke to the memory care unit manager and the finance person. Actually neither asked anything about us, just answered the questions I had.

I liked that the residents‘ routine was there’s - food / get up / bed according to their patterns.

The last few weeks have shown me how much mum needs somewhere where she can have quiet and space. Too much stimulation makes her agitated, tired and hence dementia symptoms so much worse,

I’ll do one at the other end of the spectrum tomorrow to give me a contrast…..