Not wanting to eat. I am new to this and a carer for my mum

morag1067

May 7, 2024
Mum is 89 and keeps in good health.She has not been told she has dementia but l know it is early stages of dementia.She is forgetting her short term memory and is so repetitive it is waring me out.She is not wanting to eat and is never hungry but l try my best to cook for her daily.
please help me as l am on my own and have no-one to talk to about this?

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
Mum is 89 and keeps in good health.She has not been told she has dementia but l know it is early stages of dementia.She is forgetting her short term memory and is so repetitive it is waring me out.She is not wanting to eat and is never hungry but l try my best to cook for her daily.
please help me as l am on my own and have no-one to talk to about this?
what snacks (besides sweet things) does she like? little and often maybe the way to go? no one says we must have the regime of breakfast , lunch, and dinner. tempting her with tasty snacks during the day and before bed may work? liquid is most important though. drink enough. Regarding the repeated questions, nothing for it but just answer like it was the first time she asks. Sorry. no need for long answers just acknowledge it, or agree.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Is the problem that she is having trouble with cutlery? Finger food that she can just dip into helped mum. I used to put all sorts into a bowl - cubes of cheese, mini pork pies cut into quarters, a sandwich cut into bite sized pieces, hula hoops, pieces of cucumber, cut up strawberries or grapes..... In fact, anything that she could just pick up and pop into her mouth. She would always protest that it was far too much, but half an hour later it would be gone.

Eating with someone else also helps stimulate them into eating, so if you can sit down with them and also eat you may well find that she eats better.

Is she having problems with false teeth/mouth ulcers so that she doesnt want to eat because of that?

It is common for the appitite to wane as the dementia progresses, but that is usually in the advanced stages.

Simonsimon2024

May 12, 2024
Clacton
My dad says to me he has no appreciate so I agree, but shortly after that conversation I put a small selection of what I do know that he likes out on the side and suggest I will choose the same and before I know it his tucking into a portion of the same.
This humbles me very much and sometimes gives me the wink and says son we have always enjoyed the same kind of foods haven’t we ? I say dad yes we always have mate and I’m sure we always will.
Give this a try and good luck perhaps you could let me know if it kind of works ?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shy