Not sleeping even with Zopiclone

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
My mum has not slept for at least 3 days, day or night. The care home requested a doctor review and she was given zopiclone but that isn't doing anything sadly. They seem quite surprised by this.
Has anyone else had this issue ?

Janey B

Aug 15, 2019
Northwest
Hi Ali1234
My OH has been having disturbed nights for quite a while now.
Sleeping for only a couple of hours at a time. Consequently I’m shattered. Doctor prescribed Zopiclone 3.75mg ( not to be given every night!!!) sorry to say no effect at all. It will be reviewed at the end of the month so will ask for something else unless with more frequent use it has the desired effect 🤞. Maybe the home should consult the Doctor for advice.

chriskay

Nov 8, 2023
My mum has not slept for at least 3 days, day or night. The care home requested a doctor review and she was given zopiclone but that isn't doing anything sadly. They seem quite surprised by this.

chriskay

Nov 8, 2023
My partner is going through this phase and I am shattered. He seems fine in the day but come migraine his angry face goes on and he's up and down, getting dressed, getting undressed and refused to get back into bed.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
People with dementia often get fractured sleep as a result of the dementia as their internal body clock is breaking down. Sleeping tablets therefore often do not work because the problem is not insomnia.

If the problem seems to be sundowning and getting very anxious, then sometimes anti-anxiety medication can work instead.

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
People with dementia often get fractured sleep as a result of the dementia as their internal body clock is breaking down. Sleeping tablets therefore often do not work because the problem is not insomnia.

If the problem seems to be sundowning and getting very anxious, then sometimes anti-anxiety medication can work instead.
Thanks she is already on anti anxiety meds but nothing is seeming to help this time. Last time a few days of zopiclone did the trick and got her back into a more normal cycle, only being awake a night or two a week instead of 24 hours a day for days on end.

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
My partner is going through this phase and I am shattered. He seems fine in the day but come migraine his angry face goes on and he's up and down, getting dressed, getting undressed and refused to get back into bed.
It is the reason my dad could no longer look after my mum - he couldn't survive on no sleep at night then no rest in the day either. I hope you manage to get some rest soon

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
Hi Ali1234
My OH has been having disturbed nights for quite a while now.
Sleeping for only a couple of hours at a time. Consequently I’m shattered. Doctor prescribed Zopiclone 3.75mg ( not to be given every night!!!) sorry to say no effect at all. It will be reviewed at the end of the month so will ask for something else unless with more frequent use it has the desired effect 🤞. Maybe the home should consult the Doctor for advice.
Thanks - they will have to do something. A couple of days of Zopiclone worked wonders for my mum previously. I hope you get some rest soon.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Neither zopliclone or lorazepam works on my mum either and we agreed not to continue trying because it can build up depending on a persons renal function and then have a deep sedatory effect. The issue is the changes brought about by the disease rather than a simplistic assumption that sleep inducing medication will work. The other issue is that zoplicone can induce unpleasant sleep disturbances and umwanted hallucinations which obviously compound the problem. Not easy if caring at home with little support.

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
Neither zopliclone or lorazepam works on my mum either and we agreed not to continue trying because it can build up depending on a persons renal function and then have a deep sedatory effect. The issue is the changes brought about by the disease rather than a simplistic assumption that sleep inducing medication will work. The other issue is that zoplicone can induce unpleasant sleep disturbances and umwanted hallucinations which obviously compound the problem. Not easy if caring at home with little support.
How did your mum finally get any sleep ? Or was she sleeping during the day to make up ?

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
How did your mum finally get any sleep ? Or was she sleeping during the day to make up ?
Mum is now in an EMI unit and this is now her fourth year sadly. The decision was made some time ago to not continue chasing her sleep deprivation but rather let her sleep when she decides to which could be any time of the day or night. She can be wandering continuously for hours and then when seated for mealtime her need to sleep kicks in -often missing her meal. There isn't much anyone can really do because the changes aren't always manageable by chemical intervention. I agreed to this as well because stopping her from doing what she wants to do was and still is on some occasions considerably distressing for her. Mum is on a palliative dementia care pathway and ultimately care centres around comfort, pain management and basic needs such as hygiene etc with adjustments -there is acceptance of how mum is with her dementia rather than trying to control things just because we can and considering what is of any real benefit to the PWD rather than treating the carers anxieties.

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
Mum is now in an EMI unit and this is now her fourth year sadly. The decision was made some time ago to not continue chasing her sleep deprivation but rather let her sleep when she decides to which could be any time of the day or night. She can be wandering continuously for hours and then when seated for mealtime her need to sleep kicks in -often missing her meal. There isn't much anyone can really do because the changes aren't always manageable by chemical intervention. I agreed to this as well because stopping her from doing what she wants to do was and still is on some occasions considerably distressing for her. Mum is on a palliative dementia care pathway and ultimately care centres around comfort, pain management and basic needs such as hygiene etc with adjustments -there is acceptance of how mum is with her dementia rather than trying to control things just because we can and considering what is of any real benefit to the PWD rather than treating the carers anxieties.
thanks - my mum managed to sleep after 72 hours without sleep at all but sadly collapsed and died yesterday. I think the lack of sleep was contributory.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
thanks - my mum managed to sleep after 72 hours without sleep at all but sadly collapsed and died yesterday. I think the lack of sleep was contributory.
I'm sorry to hear of your mums passing. There is nothing that you could have done differently.

Firecatcher

Jan 6, 2020
Sorry to hear of the loss of your Mum and I can imagine how hard this must be. It’s so difficult when nothing seems to alleviate the distressing problems dementia causes.
Zopiclone hasn’t made any difference with my Mum either. Wishing you strength in the months ahead.

Sally6115

Oct 31, 2023
Every tablet we’ve tried doesn’t work, it’s almost as if he fights its effects as he’s very physically fit, his vitals are better than mine!
hes 96 but looks 75
So we’re having a visit from a doctor ASP from the local memory assessment centre to see what can be done to give him and us a good nights sleep

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
Doctor has just prescribed zopiclone for my mum as she will call out during the night/early morning and I am shattered. I asked about side effects and he said she might be more drowsy in the morning. I do hope mum doesn't have hallucinations as there are already times when she appears to see something that isn't there, unless that's just her eyesight (cataracts).

LewyDementiaCarer

Mar 5, 2024
We were prescribed trazadone by the Dr. in our experience it seems to alleviate anxiety somewhat and given 45 minutes before bed has led to far more restful nights, and less hallucinations, as a relaxing sedative quality seems to kick in after about 30 minutes. Beforehand we had ongoing disturbed nights, and acting out dreams etc. Maybe worth asking the Dr if something like an anti-anxiety medication is a suitable option for your mum?

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
We were prescribed trazadone by the Dr. in our experience it seems to alleviate anxiety somewhat and given 45 minutes before bed has led to far more restful nights, and less hallucinations, as a relaxing sedative quality seems to kick in after about 30 minutes. Beforehand we had ongoing disturbed nights, and acting out dreams etc. Maybe worth asking the Dr if something like an anti-anxiety medication is a suitable option for your mum?
Thank you. I will bear it in mind. Mum has had her first zopiclone tonight so will see how it goes.

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
Thank you. I will bear it in mind. Mum has had her first zopiclone tonight so will see how it goes.
Zopiclone, work of the devil!
It should not be taken for more than 14 days.
We had major problems with FiL, normal dose had no effect indeed it kept him awake, bigger dose just made him a real fall risk, not only that night, but all of the next day.
The idea of Zopiclone is to relax the person, to the point of normal sleep, it is not a "knock out" type sleeping pill.

Bod