Not sleeping even with Zopiclone

TessB

Nov 14, 2023
Mum's now had two nights on zopiclone. First night I gave it to her at 8pm. 8.40pm she asked for food. 9pm she seemed sleepy so I left her and went to bed. Mum spoke twice around 7am, but didn't actually call out until 8am. Second night I gave it to her later, around 9.30pm. 9.40pm mum asked for food, then went to sleep shortly after. Mum was calling out at 6.50am next morning. So not sure it's having much effect but will cross my fingers that there are no extra early calling outs. I mentioned trazadone to the doctor and she said to see how mum managed on zopiclone first. Mum now possibly has a chest infection and doctor has prescribed 5 days of antibiotics. Mum is increasingly not wanting to get out of bed, finding it too much of an effort and the doctor isn't sure whether it's due to an infection or general decline. Mum has a crackly chest infection one side, hence the antibiotics.

Ferrit44

Apr 1, 2020
Liverpool
Hi, My wife is in her tenth year of illness, she never sleeps through the night she’d keep me awake but I finally realised that it couldn’t go on that way, so now I have made the upstairs a safe area for her to walk around, I wear ear plugs and sleep for several hours, if I wake I will check her night time disposable pants and change if needed,
it my sound as if I’m being cruel by restricting her movement but she’s safe and healthy and sleeps during the day,
She was aggressive a while back but the Memory Clinic put her on Risperidone and it worked for her, I’m lucky her apppetite is fine and her illness seems to progress slowly, my biggest stress point is her Aphasia and we can no longer meaningfully converse, And of course the inevitable anxiety that comes with Dementia

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Ferrit44 sorry to read your post about your OH, but you seem to be managing.
By comparison I've only been full time caring for my OH for 7 years. My OH hasn't been able to properly converse for quite some while now. She can start off with 3 or 4 or 5 words that make sense but then drifts into sounds - like : "Where's that nice girdy girdy girdy.." etc.
Not being able to speak with each other, or discuss things, or argue or debate or chit chat is, in fact, the biggest thing I miss. I keep in touch with family and friends so I can get some adult conversation some times. It can seem v lonely.
Keep going. Best wishes.

Sarah Birmingham

Apr 3, 2021
Every tablet we’ve tried doesn’t work, it’s almost as if he fights its effects as he’s very physically fit, his vitals are better than mine!
hes 96 but looks 75
So we’re having a visit from a doctor ASP from the local memory assessment centre to see what can be done to give him and us a good nights sleep
What did they say? My mom is going through exactly this.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
I don't think there is any problem with trialling medications so long as there is support available if it all goes wrong. There is no one size fits all in the dementia world.