No diagnosis, just concerns

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Interested to read your post on my first day here which mentions some of my symptoms and most interestingly the same numeracy difficulty as I have experienced which also limited my employment progress due to difficulty understanding project plans.
Hello @Troy1-7. Thank you for reading. I am sorry that you have been experiencing some of these symptoms yourself. I could not find my post initially, so have just also put on a new post.
I can see the struggles that my husband is going through with work and I really do empathise with you. It must be very frustrating and worrying to become aware of these difficulties.
I hope that through this forum (and I suppose medical checks), we are all able to find support and answers. I hope you feel able to share more on here if that is what feels right for you.
Thank you and best wishes to you.

SJM10

Jan 10, 2021
Hi RM3, dont want any personal details, but is this your postcode.? If so i can give you the details of the local dementia carers group which offers a lot of support for us carers

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Hi RM3, dont want any personal details, but is this your postcode.? If so i can give you the details of the local dementia carers group which offers a lot of support for us carers
Hello @SJM10. Aww it isn’t but thank you very much for thinking of me and offering the information. I wish you well.

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
So to follow on from the other posts I have written, just a bit of an update today (helps me to track my concerns if I put them on here).
So for really the first time (so outright), I asked my husband how his day had been at work today.
He said, well ok really but I had a bit of a moment, that felt quite scary.
He said that he had a brief moment of like a brain freeze and felt like he didn’t know where he was or what he was doing. He said it felt a bit worrying. I asked him more about it.
He said he had 3 small metal pieces that just needed ti go in a machine in a particular order (very straight forward for him as a mechanical engineer of over 40 years). He said he got them all wrong but didn’t know how to correct it and needed help from someone.
My other posts explain more of the picture.
I think that we are getting close to me needing to be firmer about him going back to the doctors (he had been about 18 months ago and had an MRI which was clear), thank you for reading x

RM3

Feb 4, 2024
Hello. This is my first post (sorry it’s long).
I have concerns about my 58 year old husband. He did go to the memory clinic about 15 months ago and this was followed by and MRI and was given the all clear.
However, I have continued to see changes in him. He has always worked in engineering but had a job change due to redundancy last year (having struggled to grasp the new role they offered him).
He has since taken a 50% pay cut, to work in a less demanding engineering role - but still struggles. He seems to have difficulty with numbers (he had to add one to a number a few days ago and after a struggle, had to use his phones calculator). It was a nightmare 2 days getting him through his induction. He does seem to have settled in now though, 6 months in.
There are so many subtle things. Mostly only I would notice (although our daughters also do). He likes routine more and more for one (walks on the same routes for example), happy to sit on the sofa and watch YouTube for hours (not something he would have done until the last couple of years), mostly he watches the same handful of people who do walks through particular towns.
My mum passed unexpectedly 3 months ago. He would usually be my rock but he felt quite empty (best I can explain). My dad stayed with us for about 3 weeks and although my husband doesn’t use his car for work (or anything much), he was absolutely obsessed and fixated on it being blocked in on the driveway in front of our other car and my dads car. He kept taking it out to leave at his parents near by and then bringing it back.
He struggles with planning and problem solving. He has always done diy and lots of decorating over the years. He struggled today with the instructions to mix wallpaper paste and I had to step in and do it.
I have to watch him with the injections for our diabetic dog (hubby usually does the injections). I asked him a few days ago if had given and he said he felt like he had but also like he hadn’t. We checked the nearly full sharps bin and there was a needle near the top, still with the insulin in,
He is a bit anxious if I’m not home and is getting quite clingy with me.
The best way that I can describe how he seems to me, is a bit vulnerable.
Although this sounds probably obvious, he also functions quite ‘normally’ and most wouldn’t think anything.
He thought a few weeks ago that his pants and top had been stolen from the drier in the shed. After having me look everywhere for them, I found them in his wardrobe (washed, dried and ironed, which he had done).
He thought today, just for a moment, that some rolls of wallpaper had been taken from his boot. He then quickly remembered that he’d already taken them to our daughters house.
I am starting to make allowances for him, without even realising.
There are so many examples but this just gives a few to explain the reason for my concerns. I am not sure if I should ask him if he will go back to the doctors. It was only just over a year ago though that he had the ok from an MRI. Any thoughts or similar experiences would be very welcome. Thank you.
Now that I have learned what the memory clinic is (from posts on this site), I just wanted to correct my first post above. My husband did not go to the memory clinic. They were referring him there but at the time we had private health insurance and he was referred to a private neurologist. At this appointment, he asked us about our concerns and then booked the MRI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dinkydi4