NHS blood test for Alzheimers bio markers

grahn

Feb 14, 2024
Read about an NHS blood test for Alzheimers bio markers trial. Wonder how one can find out or when a blood test might be available NHS or private?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Is this the one?

And if you find the markers what do you do?
I think it will be a long time before a test is accepted and in common usage.
Private will only be trials, and you might get the placebo.

grahn

Feb 14, 2024
yes that's the one. Thought they might make it available private as the nhs doesn't really function these days.

SelahRosario

Feb 22, 2024
Chatting with your family doctor could really help. They often keep up with the latest tests for Alzheimer's, including those fancy blood tests that check for signs of the disease. Your doctor should be able to tell you if these tests are something you can get through the public health service or if you might need to look into private options. They're usually pretty clued in on this stuff and can point you in the right direction.

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
I’m unable to tell you how to get the test but the memory clinic where my husband goes, in the US, is one of the places where the clinical trials were done. This was 2 years ago. I was able to set up for my husband to get the blood test for Alzheimer’s and they were going to charge me the equivalent of 120 pounds. Before we could have the test run my husband’s memory doctor said he felt more confident in the results of a lumbar puncture and wanted that test instead of the blood test. I’m only telling you this because, in my mind, if the clinic running the clinical trial for the Alzheimer’s blood test had more faith in the results from a lumbar puncture than the blood test it may be very difficult to find a doctor to order the blood test.

For me the results of the lumbar puncture were very important. They overwhelmingly showed my husband has Alzheimer’s. I’m one of those people who try to deny anything unpleasant. Because of the results I can’t pretend that there’s nothing wrong and have had to accept that he has Alzheimer’s.