SallyC85

May 8, 2024
Hello,

I’m Sally. My mother in law has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s (we did know there was something) but we’re still a little overwhelmed. Especially my husband & his sister.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @SallyC85, welcome to the forum. You have come to a good place for information, advice and support so I hope you can stick around.

The family are likely to be experiencing what is known as Anticipatory Grief (loss for the way of life that was, rather than the loss of the physical person).

I got through that when my wife was diagnosed by getting busy putting affairs in order with things like wills, power of attorney etc.

If you have any questions just ask as the collective knowledge is vast.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome @SallyC85 to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia here so I am glad you have found us.
I am sorry to read about your mother in law's recent diagnosis. It's tough to get such a diagnosis, even, as you say, you did know there was something.
The following link may help for some information:
Please do have a good look around the forums and ask any particular questions you may like to. Members here really do want to help.
The only practical matter I would advise you do sooner rather than later, (if not done already) is for your husband and sister to organise Lasting power of attorney. This will make things a lot easier further down the track, because as you will know already, Alzheimer's is a progressive disease, so now is the best your mother in law will be.
It can be so overwhelming for family to take in... so take your time please and do let us, the forum members know, if there is anything we can particularly help with. Take care.

Angelsoul

May 22, 2023
Yes they will be. Its a huge shock and devastating, even if you are kind of expecting it. I'm still struggling to accept it.
It's very hard but you just have to go with it.
I hope you are all getting support. At some point you will all need it.
Xxxxxxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdickson3012