Newbie here with early onset Alzheimer's Disease

Daryl2510

Spring update...

Isn't it nice now the weather has started to improve here in the UK?

I've had a spring clean today with my support worker - I have her 5-hours on a Thursday and we've gone through 'BungalHome' like a dose of salts!:D

This weather just seems to lift your spirits, no matter how you're feeling... and after the long-winter months that have seemed to drag this year - I'm glad of it! :)

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Isn't it nice now the weather has started to improve here in the UK?

I've had a spring clean today with my support worker - I have her 5-hours on a Thursday and we've gone through 'BungalHome' like a dose of salts!:D

This weather just seems to lift your spirits, no matter how you're feeling... and after the long-winter months that have seemed to drag this year - I'm glad of it! :)

Hi Daryl, I'm glad of the better weather too. :)

I've got my windows clean with my HH this week and its a good feeling.:)
Best wishes
Sue

Daryl2510

Dementia update

I've had a dementia assessment at my GP surgery for my Alzheimer's Disease and they’ve said that all is as good - in fact better - than it should be, for someone with a diagnosis of the condition for 5 years.

I do try to keep myself as active as I can, but with my Parkinson's Disease now, I'm finding mobility a little bit more of a problem. But I continue to go and visit my Mam and stepdad (they both are in the latter stages of Alzheimer's Disease, but still recognise and know who I am) once a week at least in their care-home.

I still have my support worker for 6 hours per week (I started with the service three years ago when social services allocated it me instead of a weekly visit to a day centre) - I've had her from the beginning and she helps me with my independence at home, and also takes me shopping and helps me with my finances.

So I'm still in a good place really, even though physically I seem to be dropping to bits more than neuralgically!

Long may it continue... :)

Daryl2510

typical British weather

We moan about it often enough... :p

14310469_1290918727635050_7884163220401775043_o.jpg

Daryl2510

Merry Christmas 2016...

Belated Christmas greetings from me...

I hope you've all had as good a time as anyone can who has to deal and cope with the pressures that dementia can bring.

We still have to go on...

Merry Christmas!

Daryl2510

Happy New Year 2017

I hope everyone as a peaceful and as a happy a new year this year as they can with those who have to live with or care for someone with our condition...

I haven't really had a great Christmas holiday... I went to stay with my nephew and his family to be with them mainly for their kids (my great-kids I call them) - but mainly had to stay there because of my health - I ended up getting pneumonia, laid up in bed, use nor ornament to anyone and mainly laying there feeling very sorry for myself, when I could remember too!

My nephew got me into an emergency GP appointment and the doctor told me I should've gone sooner to see him ( which is ironic as you usually have to be 'dead' a fortnight before you can get into our GP surgery! ;) ).

He has given me two courses of antibiotics and next week I have got to have an ECG and full blood test because the fluid in my chest has had an effect on my heart - so what I thought was just a heavy cold and tried to shrug off was so much worse - and that is the last time I shall ever be having the flu jab ever again!

On the mend now though - and my appetite is coming back (I've lost one and a half stone over Christmas - usually the other way round lol) and the antibiotic treatments havefinished. just awaiting the ECG and blood test results now.

Daryl2510

Update... sorry!

Hi there, sorry I haven't posted in a while, not that anyone may have missed me, but I have moved into a new flat to be nearer the family because of my Alzheimer's Disease and also my stepdad died just two weeks after I moved in and it has been quite an eventful few months keeping up on top of everything else.

However, onwards and upwards!

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi Daryl - and welcome back.

I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your stepfather - such a difficult time for you and the family..

Congrats on the move - I am glad to hear that you are nearer to your family now and I hope you are settling in well :)

Molly64

Oct 8, 2017
Manchester
Hello Daryl. Im sue. Really good to meet you. Iv just read your blog and its been a really inspirational and reassuring read. Im going through the tests process atm which as you know is a slow process:confused:Bloods are back and normal, ACEIII test scored 86:rolleyes: i had an mri a few weeks ago and am waiting for the psychiatrist to see that. It really is like pulling teeth but iv read enough on here to realise thats just how it iso_O
Im 53 by the way..
When i first started to read your posts that were dated from 2013. I so hoped you were still well enough to post and am glad to find you are. You are a marvel.
I find some days i can be in floods of tears thinking about well im sure you know.. but truly your post has given me hope that as you say we can't win the war but we can fight the fight one battle at a time :rolleyes:
The fact that you still managed to care for your mam in the early stages filled me with hope. I am caring for my daughter who is 22 but has autism. it is a worry but over the last year or so as iv felt like i was losing something of myself iv managed to get her two care workers involved and a social worker, but she has since left and sadly hasnt been replaced. But recently she is starting to use them instead of having to rely so heavily on me. Which is great for her independence. Anyway enough about me.. hijacking your blog.
Im sorry to hear you lost your step dad, vertual hugs.
And hope you enjoy your new home and that you will be really happy there.
I had gotten a soft spot for your bungalhome. You will have to think of a pet name for this one.
keep on keeping on. I will look forward to your next installment. Take care. Sue :)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathleen Dickson