New Member saying Hi

SarahHassMac

Apr 29, 2024
Hi,
My name is Sarah and I have joined the forum to see if anyone can help and support my family as we come to terms with my mother's Dementia Diagnosis. Sadly she was diagnosed rather far on into her Dementia and we are now in need of help, guidance and support with her condition. She is having an increasing number of hallucinations. These cause her to move around the house a great deal, following children who she can see in an effort to 'look after them'. Can anyone suggest strategies to deal with this? Sometimes we acknowledge they are there, but when she wants to leave the house to stop them from crossing the road, things become dangerous. Can anyone suggest the best course of action?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi,
My name is Sarah and I have joined the forum to see if anyone can help and support my family as we come to terms with my mother's Dementia Diagnosis. Sadly she was diagnosed rather far on into her Dementia and we are now in need of help, guidance and support with her condition. She is having an increasing number of hallucinations. These cause her to move around the house a great deal, following children who she can see in an effort to 'look after them'. Can anyone suggest strategies to deal with this? Sometimes we acknowledge they are there, but when she wants to leave the house to stop them from crossing the road, things become dangerous. Can anyone suggest the best course of action?
it might be an idea to contact her gp to see if they can do anything to help. have you got poa for health and finance as this would help if she was still in capacity. i hope you have claimed all the benefits that she is entitled such as attendance allowance.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello and welcome to the forum @SarahHassMac it is good that your mum is not distressed by the hallucinations and you are dealing well with them by acknowledging them. The wandering out of the house is a more worrying issue and one that is difficult to deal with. You do not say if you live with your mum, if so you could lock the doors to ensure that she is safe. If your mum lives on her own locking the doors would not be recommended for health and safety reasons, for example if there was a fire. There does come a time if a person with dementia starts to wander on a regular basis that it might be time to consider residential care.
You could discuss the issue with your mum's GP but hallucinations are difficult to control especially as dementia progresses.
I have attached a few links which you might find useful and please keep posting for help or even just to let off steam now and again.

SarahHassMac

Apr 29, 2024
it might be an idea to contact her gp to see if they can do anything to help. have you got poa for health and finance as this would help if she was still in capacity. i hope you have claimed all the benefits that she is entitled such as attendance allowance.
Hi Jennifer. We have attendance allowance and my father has just applied for another benefit, but I am not sure what that is. We are looking into Poa now. Thank you.