NEW CARE ASSISTANT JOB - Need tips/guidance/advice

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
Oooh @Watson1
Are we allowed a glimpse? None of us can make it to Vermont to see your exhibition, but we are interested to see your work.
the art show is at the all souls unitarian church in west brattleboro vt their web site has has a few images and bio (ascot.org or face book may be) my son also took bunch uf pictures at the opening so we can make a more practical presentation to share in the future in order to not loose contact with my alzi companions in gb who also follow art here is m email jamsald @ comcast.net hope to continue this conversation

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
It's lovely reading your posts, keep up the positivity, and if I can offer any advice, I'd say keep in mind that each person is different with regards to what they enjoy and don't, and even that can change moment to moment: with Alzheimers/Dementia you have to expect the unexpected and remain open to their responses both verbally & with body language. Sometimes they won't be able to/want to complete the activity in a normal way, but a little creative thinking, humor and stepping into their world a bit can still produce smiles & giggles or at least make them feel relaxed and like they are doing something right.
Well said, totally agreed.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
the art show is at the all souls unitarian church in west brattleboro vt their web site has has a few images and bio (ascot.org or face book may be) my son also took bunch uf pictures at the opening so we can make a more practical presentation to share in the future in order to not loose contact with my alzi companions in gb who also follow art here is m email jamsald @ comcast.net hope to continue this conversation
Unfortunately the website link isn't available. But I will be sending an email to the address you mentioned hopefully then I will be able to see the art show. Is someone able to help you to enable you to show an example here, by attaching a file on your post. Like someone else said we would love to see your work. Art is very powerful!

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Living doll you deserve all the support you get for doing the great service you are supporting. i know we talked about art in your work it may amuse you that i currently amy showing a series of painting about the distruction in ukraine and earlier works about 35 in all. my wonder full wife helped with a lot of the communications that my alzy brain couldn't handle. hail to care givers all. happy spring its about 30 degrees f but sunny her e in vermont with snow expected in the next couple days. be well keep shining always nice to follow your journey
Wow.....I love this forum! Reaching out to you as far away as the USA, amazing! Tell us more about yourself, am very interested. How do you spend your days, mostly painting?

Mar 22, 2024
Morning everyone, on this cold and frosty morning (bbbrrrhhhh). I have just started a brand new job in a brand new care home (opened November last year) as a care assistant. I have never done this job before but have done some online training, attended face to face training and am now shadowing my colleagues. I have never washed anyone before (personal care) in my life and the thought of cleaning someone's dentures scares me. I am keeping my head down and doing anything the unit manager tells me to do, from laying the dining room table, changing beds, loading the dishwasher and providing refreshments. When the home is full, I hope to apply for the position of an activities co-ordinator/Lifestyle Coach (which is the job I was doing previously in a dementia home) The Manager is aware of this and took me on, on the premise of this, but suggested that I join as a care assistant so I fully understand how care homes operate. Which I personally feel is a good idea. Of all the residents we have so far (just 5 at the moment), we have one lady that has dementia and I fulfil my day making her day special. I believe that being in the dementia field is my passion and I know I can make a difference. So today, if anyone has any tips/guidance/advice on how to keep going and getting to grips with being a care assistant until my dream job comes (activities), please reply. Love to hear from you all. xxxx

Mar 22, 2024
I don't know if this is so much a tip as a hindsight observation. When my mom had dementia I brought her to my home, but I recognized that I didn't have the skills to care for her so I hired a professional caregiver. As my mom became more and more disabled, I saw the caregiver provide not only professional care, but love, even on the days that my mom wasn't very loveable. I grew to appreciate and love this woman so much over the two years that she was with us! My mom is gone now, but our caregiver became a part of our family until she died of breast cancer just a year ago. She will forever be my "sister" and friend. So, I want you to know how very important you will be in so many peoples' lives!

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
I don't know if this is so much a tip as a hindsight observation. When my mom had dementia I brought her to my home, but I recognized that I didn't have the skills to care for her so I hired a professional caregiver. As my mom became more and more disabled, I saw the caregiver provide not only professional care, but love, even on the days that my mom wasn't very loveable. I grew to appreciate and love this woman so much over the two years that she was with us! My mom is gone now, but our caregiver became a part of our family until she died of breast cancer just a year ago. She will forever be my "sister" and friend. So, I want you to know how very important you will be in so many peoples' lives!
What a lovely thing to say. I hope that family/relatives see me in the same light. Even if they don't I feel I am doing an amazing job, it isn't important to me as I love being around my residents. They seem to light up and engage when i am in their presence. sometimes that is all I need. Sorry to hear that sadly your mother passed away, can't be easy for you. I wish you all the very best xxx

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
Unfortunately the website link isn't available. But I will be sending an email to the address you mentioned hopefully then I will be able to see the art show. Is someone able to help you to enable you to show an example here, by attaching a file on your post. Like someone else said we would love to see your work. Art is very powerful!
living doll sorry the web site didn't work i think my alzy got the better of me try ascvt.org . if you want more info with other show announcements in local papers and couple of pictures look up jeremy w. aldridge nice british name for an american if i do say so my self nudge nudge wink wink. a true vermonter that once long ago haled from Aldridge england this may help if you should email. we will get an alzy art exchange between the us and uk one way or another. art will speak be well

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Can't hold back my excitement this morning. Today at my care home we have a visit from Essex Therapy Dogs. They are coming at 3pm today, so if anyone has any ideas for me how to make sure this runs smoothly, this will be greately received. Never done this activity before and the owner is a newly qualified volunteer. So between us, we haven't got a clue (hee hee), but it should be fun nevertheless. Thankyou in advance for your help!

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Lovely 🥰

My mum is largely in her room / bed now so just make sure the lovely doggy visits those residents too!

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
living doll sorry the web site didn't work i think my alzy got the better of me try ascvt.org . if you want more info with other show announcements in local papers and couple of pictures look up jeremy w. aldridge nice british name for an american if i do say so my self nudge nudge wink wink. a true vermonter that once long ago haled from Aldridge england this may help if you should email. we will get an alzy art exchange between the us and uk one way or another. art will speak be well
Acknowledge your reply and will respond after I have finished my shift. Have a wonderful day. xx

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
living doll no worries i have two dogs a border collie and a terrier let the dogs take the lead the love people alsy people if they were once afraid of dogs may have some uncntold reaction but the dog may fix that with a sloppy kiss or not. your be fine ill be interested what kind of dog came to visit. ps glad you got the message later...

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
The ‘pat’ dog visits were the highlight of my Mum’s time when she was in her Care Home. She was devastated when they couldn’t visit due to the lock downs, think she missed their visits more than mine!!! Her main doggie visitor was an enormous dog similar to a Newfoundland that she could reach without bending or stretching. But she also loved my daughter and son bringing their dogs in. My daughter’s dog doesn’t like to be stroked or people much but she let my Mum stroke her.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Another thing all the residents used to love (really got them chatting) were visits by babies and small children, if you have a nursery or infant school close by I am sure this would go down well.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
living doll any luck in us uk communications still love to share art work
whoops haven't had a chance to look yet, forgive me, was a bit busy getting the easter egg hunt ready for the residents. Definitely will be though.....rest assured, very interested.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Can't hold back my excitement this morning. Today at my care home we have a visit from Essex Therapy Dogs. They are coming at 3pm today, so if anyone has any ideas for me how to make sure this runs smoothly, this will be greately received. Never done this activity before and the owner is a newly qualified volunteer. So between us, we haven't got a clue (hee hee), but it should be fun nevertheless. Thankyou in advance for your help!
Oh my god......the visit was amazing and the residents have requested that he visits every week. So we have booked him up. He is going to be a busy boy.

Attachments

• 4 legged visitor.jpg
    4 legged visitor.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 26

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Another thing all the residents used to love (really got them chatting) were visits by babies and small children, if you have a nursery or infant school close by I am sure this would go down well.
Thank you for that, have just written to a primary school, very close to the home. The headmaster will be scheduling a meeting with me on his return from the easter break.. Thanks for that idea.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
The ‘pat’ dog visits were the highlight of my Mum’s time when she was in her Care Home. She was devastated when they couldn’t visit due to the lock downs, think she missed their visits more than mine!!! Her main doggie visitor was an enormous dog similar to a Newfoundland that she could reach without bending or stretching. But she also loved my daughter and son bringing their dogs in. My daughter’s dog doesn’t like to be stroked or people much but she let my Mum stroke her.
I have registed the care home with Pats dogs and am waiting to hear back from them. But additionally a lady from essex therapy dogs visited and went down a storm and will be returning. It was so exciting watching the interaction between the residents and the dog.

Attachments

• 4 legged visitor.jpg
    4 legged visitor.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 19

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
living doll no worries i have two dogs a border collie and a terrier let the dogs take the lead the love people alsy people if they were once afraid of dogs may have some uncntold reaction but the dog may fix that with a sloppy kiss or not. your be fine ill be interested what kind of dog came to visit. ps glad you got the message later...
Finally, am able to attach the best photo I took of the new visitor to our home. (I want one)!

Attachments

• 4 legged visitor.jpg
    4 legged visitor.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 17