Namenda ?

Portreeve

May 2, 2024
Hello, Neurologist just put my DW on Namenda anyone know anything about this drug or someone who took

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Portreeve and welcome

Namenda (memantine) is a very common drug used in dementia.
It was never prescribed for my mum, but I know that a lot of members on here have experience and Im sure they will come on share their experience

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
I found that memantine keeps my husband calm most of the time, he has been on it for a couple of years with no problems. They have also tried him on donepezil and rivastigmine but they both seemed to make him very angry and difficult so they were stopped.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My husband has been on it 3 years with no problems. It has cooled his aggression and made him a nice person to be around although he still has his moments

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
My OH was prescribed memantine when he was diagnosed 4 years ago.
It's difficult to know how effective it's been. His decline has been quite quick and he's now late mid stage. But.. he was always a placid easy going man and he still is so it may have helped to keep his mood stable.

He didn't have any noticeable bad side effects but he does have long standing heart disease and he's now experiencing a low, sometimes dangerously low, heart rate and the cardiologist is asking memory clinic to review the memantine.

I'd like to keep him on it if possible as I don't want withdrawal to affect his mood. It will depend on the next round of echocardiogram and ECG results as to what is advised.