My nan thinks there is bugs in her bed

stagetom

Sep 3, 2023
Hello I care for my nan with dementia she's been diagnosed with it for a few years now. She's started some new behaviour recently which is thinking that there are bugs crawling in her bed and all over her during the night. I've checked all of her bedroom and no signs of any bugs. Is this a symptom of dementia because if so I have never heard of it before! Many thanks!

StressedDaughter

Jan 25, 2023
Hello I care for my nan with dementia she's been diagnosed with it for a few years now. She's started some new behaviour recently which is thinking that there are bugs crawling in her bed and all over her during the night. I've checked all of her bedroom and no signs of any bugs. Is this a symptom of dementia because if so I have never heard of it before! Many thanks!
It could be the start of a delirium episode - could your Nan have a UTI/constipation? My Mum was hospitalised with constipation and that developed into delirium. She kept brushing things off her bed - there was nothing.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
Yes, I think it is a symptom in some people. My mum used to say there were spiders crawling up the wall when there was nothing there. Also once, in hospital, she thought there were spiders crawling along the windowsill when all I could see were a few black marks where the paint had been chipped.

Liberty and Tiesha

Apr 25, 2024
I would also consider asking for her blood to be checked. My mum has similar since getting chronic anemia. She sees them crawling out of her skin and on her bed and is constantly showering.