My mum is getting worse and I don't know what to do!

bluebob170

May 7, 2024
Hi there. My mum started with symptoms a couple of years ago not long before my dad passed away. She lives alone in a small bungalow but I live 2 hours away and my brother is picking up most of the daily tasks. Recently, we have noticed the symptoms getting much worse. We have organised local home help, got her an Acti-check and fitted some cameras in the house. We have also put a dementia clock/calendar in, white board etc etc. My main concern is the deteriation in behavior i.e. weight loss though forgetting to eat, change in sleep patterns, shuffling around the house constantly. We don't know where this level of behavior sits in terms a scale etc. She is 88 years old and is always very concerned that she is going the same way as her mum who ended up in a Victorian style hospital. Any advice on what to do next would be appreciated.

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
When a person starts to harm him/herself by not eating or drinking enough, losing sleep, losing weight etc, it is time to think of care home. What does the homehelp do or say? presumably she sees the behaviour?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @bluebob170 and welcome to the Forum, our community of members who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to hear about your mum. It does seem that her ability to live independently (albeit with support) is diminishing to the point where more intensive supervision and support are necessary. You will find a lot of goodwill and good information here. It may also be worth reviewing the wide range of publications on many subjects available at: