My God mother has early dementia & in care home (self funded)and her daughter is sadly terminally ill, can she pay for her daughters funeral cost??

katy20

May 2, 2024
Hi, I can find no advice anywhere so hoping someone may have some advice please. My godmother is in a care home self funded and has a healthy bank account with the onset of dementia. Her daughter is terminally ill in hospice and her granddaughter is soul POA now as her mum is soon to pass away. My godmother wants to pay for her daughters funeral as she has no money but granddaughter is scared to use her nans money for her mothers funeral even though if her nan was of sound mind she would have paid willingly. Would be around £3500 is it allowed or is it deprivation of asset? Sorry its a bit long winded but I'm finding this so tough as i want to provide correct advice. If my godmother doesn't pay then the council will have to anyway as her daughter had no money

sue31

Oct 2, 2023
Medway
Hi, I can find no advice anywhere so hoping someone may have some advice please. My godmother is in a care home self funded and has a healthy bank account with the onset of dementia. Her daughter is terminally ill in hospice and her granddaughter is soul POA now as her mum is soon to pass away. My godmother wants to pay for her daughters funeral as she has no money but granddaughter is scared to use her nans money for her mothers funeral even though if her nan was of sound mind she would have paid willingly. Would be around £3500 is it allowed or is it deprivation of asset? Sorry its a bit long winded but I'm finding this so tough as i want to provide correct advice. If my godmother doesn't pay then the council will have to anyway as her daughter had no money
I would think that’s acceptable.
If all receipts are kept & it’s not an extravagant affair it I can’t see any issues if all the remaining family agree, what mother wouldn’t pay for her daughters funeral 🤷‍♀️. I wouldn’t think it’s deprevation of assets either. No ones gaining, she’s losing her daughter.

katy20

May 2, 2024
I would think that’s acceptable.
If all receipts are kept & it’s not an extravagant affair it I can’t see any issues if all the remaining family agree, what mother wouldn’t pay for her daughters funeral 🤷‍♀️. I wouldn’t think it’s deprevation of assets either. No ones gaining, she’s losing her daughter.
Thank you, my thoughts exactly. All the family agree its just the granddaughter who is sole POA is concerned bless her, I just want to take the worry away from her

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
My understanding of the role of attorney is that the attorney should manage the donors money in a way that the donor would if they still had capacity. Even though your godmother can no longer manage her finances on a practical basis she may still have capacity to indicate her wishes. I would think, as @sue31 says, a reasonable funeral for her daughter - with all receipts kept - would be exactly what your godmother would want to spend her money on.
I would suggest that if her granddaughter is worried about using Nan's money for this she could check with the OPG. Hopefully this should put her mind at rest - the last thing she wants at this difficult time is to be worrying about legalities

Bod

Aug 30, 2013
"Healthy bank account" This is the key to answering the question.
How long could this account fund the care needed for the account holder.
More than the expected remaining life span, then there is no problem.
Less than twelve months, before the LA will have to contribute, then there will be an issue.

Bod.

katy20

May 2, 2024
My understanding of the role of attorney is that the attorney should manage the donors money in a way that the donor would if they still had capacity. Even though your godmother can no longer manage her finances on a practical basis she may still have capacity to indicate her wishes. I would think, as @sue31 says, a reasonable funeral for her daughter - with all receipts kept - would be exactly what your godmother would want to spend her money on.
I would suggest that if her granddaughter is worried about using Nan's money for this she could check with the OPG. Hopefully this should put her mind at rest - the last thing she wants at this difficult time is to be worrying about legalities
Thank you for your reply, really apprciate your reply

katy20

May 2, 2024
"Healthy bank account" This is the key to answering the question.
How long could this account fund the care needed for the account holder.
More than the expected remaining life span, then there is no problem.
Less than twelve months, before the LA will have to contribute, then there will be an issue.

Bod.
Hi, thankyou for your reply, I appreciate it. My godmother is 87 and has funds for at least 5 years self funded.