Music, Music, Music!

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
Put another nickel in, and all that! My husband is now some 5 years down the A road and his memory is shot to pieces. But he can still manage and enjoy a short walk in the lovely forest about 20 minutes drive from our house. We make this journey often and spend the time listening to cds of old songs from the 40 s and 50s, as well as some Geordie folk songs.
Although OH would have been familiar with many of these songs, he almost certainly would never have memorized many of the words and some of them he wouldn't have known at all, previously.
It has amazed me that he now sings along and appears to know all the words. We usually play each CD several times. At the moment we are doing Guy Mitchell to death (poor man!)
I think this shows the power that music can have in stimulating the old grey matter. Not only that but it never fails to put him (and me) in a better frame of mind.
These CD s can be picked up for a song (no pun intended) at most garden centres.
If you haven't gone down this route yet, give it a try. You might be surprised!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I totally agree Maymab. It never ceases to amaze me how my husband can join in songs and sing along with almost any tune. He can still follow written lyrics but really reads nothing else. We are in the local Alzheimer Scotland choir. It brings us both a lot of happiness.

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
Last week my car had a contretemps with another and had to go to the repairers. Meanwhile I am driving a very nice courtesy car. Unfortunately it has neither a CD player or a tape player.
Yesterday my husband was Mr Grumpy. No music a available when we went out in the car so he remained Mr Grumpy all day. I tried some classical on the radio but it was too heavy and failed to raise his mood.
I am so looking forward to getting my own car back so we can cheer ourselves up with our old songs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bronskibeat