Mum is rapidly getting worse

LucyB85

May 7, 2024
Hi. My mother suffers from Alzheimers and I'm her carer. I have a 6 month baby and a 3 year old daughter and look after them full time as well as mum and my husband is currently working away.
I'm struggling as mum just doesn't want to live anymore and is very negative about everything and is on anti depressants but they aren't helping.
Today became apparent that she's experiencing delusions and hallucinations and I'm honestly just stuck on what to do now and how to help.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hi. My mother suffers from Alzheimers and I'm her carer. I have a 6 month baby and a 3 year old daughter and look after them full time as well as mum and my husband is currently working away.
I'm struggling as mum just doesn't want to live anymore and is very negative about everything and is on anti depressants but they aren't helping.
Today became apparent that she's experiencing delusions and hallucinations and I'm honestly just stuck on what to do now and how to help.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
maybe a good idea to go back to the doctors and tell them. it masy mean your mum needs different and/or increase in her current meds. has the doctor checked her for UTI and they can be the culprit too. they can do all sorts to a person with dementia. may need to help as well especially as your children are so young and need you themselves.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hello Lucy.

welcome! We’re a friendly supportive bunch here - with lots of experience and support to offer.

You do sound like you have your hands full with your own children and your mum.

I would suggest you ask the GP regarding medication - they can always refer to the mental health team if needed.

I would also contact social services for an assessment for your mum and a carers assessment for yourself.

Do you have POA? You can use this to get some carers in if you think that might help things.