Mum didn't recognise me today.

Rachael03

Apr 17, 2023
This is happening more frequently now, although still intermittent confusion, and not becoming any easier for me to digest just yet.

My logical brain keeps telling me that as long as shes happy (and she is!) and views me as someone she is safe around and enjoys, then thats what matters...but I feel knocked sideways by it at the minute and wish I could process it quicker and move on.

I think its probably more what it represents, which is her dementia progressing, and the surge of anxieties that brings....which I know is natural reaction to this grief and underlying stress. Some more time will hopefully let this next change become a bit more "normal".

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
You’ll get there in your time Rachael. It will become the new normal for you. But it is a grief that we hold and weighs us down. There will be joys and smiles in this next phase for you to treasure too xx

Rachael03

Apr 17, 2023
You’ll get there in your time Rachael. It will become the new normal for you. But it is a grief that we hold and weighs us down. There will be joys and smiles in this next phase for you to treasure too xx
Thank you...I will do my best to make the most of them all.

PammieA

Jan 17, 2024
This is happening more frequently now, although still intermittent confusion, and not becoming any easier for me to digest just yet.

My logical brain keeps telling me that as long as shes happy (and she is!) and views me as someone she is safe around and enjoys, then thats what matters...but I feel knocked sideways by it at the minute and wish I could process it quicker and move on.

I think its probably more what it represents, which is her dementia progressing, and the surge of anxieties that brings....which I know is natural reaction to this grief and underlying stress. Some more time will hopefully let this next change become a bit more "normal".
I totally agree ' as long as she (my mum too) is happy, chats to me and allows me to do any of her personal care, even if calling me by a different name, saying I'm not her daughter - she is happy and feels safe.

It might be a progression in the Dementia, but our mum's do not realise this, it is us that suffer.

Pickalily

Apr 21, 2014
My husband (91) is still at home and mostly doesn't know who I am. He knows I'm familiar and often refers to me by name, but doesn't know the relationship. He frequently asks who I am and last week when I was helping him into bed he asked where the person who slept over there (next to him) was. I said its me we're married, "well who's your husband?" He rarely knows our sons, except their faces are familiar to him.
I'm at my wits end, struggling to cope and unfortunately we didn't get a health and welfare EPA at the same time as a financial EPA back in 2007. I'm desperate for some respite
I'm now telling every family member and friends to sort both out (now LPAs) while they still can
You never think it's going to happen to you

PammieA

Jan 17, 2024
It's so hard to manage every aspect of the PWD but when you're not recognised it's heartbreaking.
I too am telling 'everyone' to sort out their LPA for health & finances.
My parents have no will and no LPA for either, they are both mid 80's.
I have tried hard to have the conversations, but my stepdad does not want to discuss or have me involved at all.
He has appointed a Solicitor now, so that's a little progress (I only found this out from his neighbour)!
The same neighbour has told me today that she was asked to be LPA, but yesterday Stepdad told her he has changed his mind, he has now chosen his son, who he has had no contact with for 26 years
(they fell out as the son asked to borrow money, stepdad said no, his son left saying "I'll never be part of your life again")
6 weeks ago the son has come back into stepdads life. And my Stepdad seems to worship him, saying he has changed and he's so nice.
I'm so worried for my mum, as she has always disliked him.
They are both so vulnerable, but I've been pushed to the side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wendy.ferris