missing chequebook

Nina55

Sep 23, 2023
My mum lives by herself and has carers twice a day, is managing ok indoors, with Alzheimers. I do have POA (Fin).
There can be practical issues about handling her money. Recently when her chequebook went missing, I realised how vulnerable she is in this way, and generally with paperwork etc. The chequebook thankfully turned up 3 weeks later, in the meantime I've been worrying if its possible for a third party to steal her identity, borrow money etc, and what steps to take to protect her. She's lost the thinking needed for awareness about staying safe. Does anyone know what damage could be done with just a chequebook and bank statement - plus maybe NHS/HMRC letters, etc. She doesn't use the internet or email anymore, do I need to tidy that all up in case her details are stored somewhere. Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Many people with dementia will put important things "away safely" (sometimes in the bin😱), so I would suggest that you take important documents and valuables home with you for safekeeping

Nina55

Sep 23, 2023
Many people with dementia will put important things "away safely" (sometimes in the bin😱), so I would suggest that you take important documents and valuables home with you for safekeeping
Ah, that's helpful :) I'll take away what I can find. The problem is being able to go through things/piles without being spotted. Thankyou

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
its possible for someone to steal anyones identity!

if you have POA you dont need to go covert- just hunt them out