Loved one in hospital - LPAs POWER

Free2Live

Jan 19, 2023
SURREY
My Father was admitted to hospital possibly under false pretences. This is being investigated. I was told the LPAs have not allowed the other children to be given any information about the wellbeing of my father. The nurses and Drs will not give any information over the phone or in person. I have spoken to a lawyer and advised that this is wrong. CAB has given me direction to speak to PALS.

Do you have any advice?

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Very often the hospital ward staff request that just one person makes telephone enquiries about a patient and passes the information on. This means they aren’t forever taking calls from myriad friends and relatives and they don’t have the problem of patient privacy to worry about.
As for in person enquiries I always had to produce my LPA to ensure medical staff would talk to me.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Actually i dont think a lawyer will get you far. Hospital staff are bound by confidentiality laws.

presumably you and the POA are not speaking? They will be the point of contact usually

What do you mean ''false pretenses''

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Given that hospitals are over full and understaffed, I’m wondering what you mean by false pretences and how long he has been in hospital. I can’t imagine a ward keeping a patient if there is no need for them to be there. Not doubting you just wondering if you can clarify this.
Is there a reason why you are not one of the attorneys?
I also don’t think legal counsel will get you far, the hospital and the attorneys have not broken any laws. ( apart from the issues surrounding your dad’s admission possibly?)

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
@Free2Live , I notice in your other posts you mentioned your mum and dementia . Does your dad also have dementia, that is a very tough situation to be in. You mention a social worker being on oxygen with your mum, are they also involved with your dad? Could they help you with this?

Free2Live

Jan 19, 2023
SURREY
Actually i dont think a lawyer will get you far. Hospital staff are bound by confidentiality laws.

presumably you and the POA are not speaking? They will be the point of contact usually

What do you mean ''false pretenses''
Police, LA, COP and OPG are involved. It is a messy situation. I have been listening to the MDT and waiting for their direction against the LPA. Nothing appears to be progressing. The only person suffering is our Dad. The other children have written complaints to the official bodies. Everything takes time and Dad is hanging in the balance.

Free2Live

Jan 19, 2023
SURREY
@Free2Live , I notice in your other posts you mentioned your mum and dementia . Does your dad also have dementia, that is a very tough situation to be in. You mention a social worker being on oxygen with your mum, are they also involved with your dad? Could they help you with this?
Sorry "oxygen"? I d not understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jean16