Just venting to keep sane

snowmile

Feb 3, 2024
I'm not expecting any advice, I just want to vent.
I've been caring for my mom (at home) with dementia for 5 years. I have help and get into the office several times a week so I am not doing this all on my own and have a lot of family support. But, it still takes it's toll.

Some days sleeping all day, sometimes never sits and never sleeps.
Incontinent issues.
Walks from one side of the house to the other a thousand times.
Moves object from where they belong to random spots.
Takes anything she wants from anyone's room.
Must hide anything important because it will be stuffed in a couch cushion or ripped up.
Hardly speaks n when she does is seldom nice.
Half eaten food stuffed in pockets, in window sill, left everywhere and anywhere.
Unable to answer even a simple question.
Walks out the door no shoes, no coat gets angry at any correction.
Hygiene is a thing of the past except when forced upon her, even washing hands can be met with resistance.

I know it's the dementia, not her, she has no choice and certainly no one would want to be this way.

This disease and its long, slow progression that just sucks all the life out of our loved ones is almost unbearable to witness.

Somedays are good but somedays I just think I can't do this anymore.

I don't know how those of you who don't have the support I have manage to do this everyday. I don't have the right to complain, you are amazing people.

i think I'm overtired and need sleep.
Thank you for letting me vent. :)

shar22

Apr 17, 2024
Venting is ok and sometimes much needed , I find I vent in the shower where no one can her my potty mouth or see the tears . There's so many of us can truly understand you 💗

snowmile

Feb 3, 2024
Venting is ok and sometimes much needed , I find I vent in the shower where no one can her my potty mouth or see the tears . There's so many of us can truly understand you 💗
Lol! That made me laugh because it's so honest, thank you for your reply. Not that I'm happy you're dealing with this too but knowing I'm not alone in my emotions helps. Thank you!

special 1

Oct 16, 2023
Hi there. Yes we all have our moments, whether it be in the shower or where ever, we just have to get it out, Sucks is not the word for it, more like a living hell for us all, even the person with that awful disease. 💔💔💔

snowmile

Feb 3, 2024
Hi there. Yes we all have our moments, whether it be in the shower or where ever, we just have to get it out, Sucks is not the word for it, more like a living hell for us all, even the person with that awful disease. 💔💔💔
Well said! It's so hard to deal with. Thank goodness we all have a place to vent! 😁

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It is a test of patience and a the time you're doing it and it can be very hard, but I'd do it all tomorrow for my now late wife or mum if I could all over in a heartbeat.
Caring sucks, OK, life after it sucks even more, in my experience.
When I was busy caring I was too busy to worry about me, now that's all over and luckily I find other stuff to do, most of the time.
I'm getting old too but still young enough to post on here and listen. K

Jessie5

Jul 17, 2017
You absolutely have a right to complain. Dementia is so hard. Not just for the person with the illness but for their families and carers too.

I never lived with my Mum and it nearly broke me, so hats off to you! Feel proud of yourself and know that you did your best if at some point you can’t go on caring 24/7.

SweetfannyAdams

Mar 16, 2024
I'm not expecting any advice, I just want to vent.
I've been caring for my mom (at home) with dementia for 5 years. I have help and get into the office several times a week so I am not doing this all on my own and have a lot of family support. But, it still takes it's toll.

Some days sleeping all day, sometimes never sits and never sleeps.
Incontinent issues.
Walks from one side of the house to the other a thousand times.
Moves object from where they belong to random spots.
Takes anything she wants from anyone's room.
Must hide anything important because it will be stuffed in a couch cushion or ripped up.
Hardly speaks n when she does is seldom nice.
Half eaten food stuffed in pockets, in window sill, left everywhere and anywhere.
Unable to answer even a simple question.
Walks out the door no shoes, no coat gets angry at any correction.
Hygiene is a thing of the past except when forced upon her, even washing hands can be met with resistance.

I know it's the dementia, not her, she has no choice and certainly no one would want to be this way.

This disease and its long, slow progression that just sucks all the life out of our loved ones is almost unbearable to witness.

Somedays are good but somedays I just think I can't do this anymore.

I don't know how those of you who don't have the support I have manage to do this everyday. I don't have the right to complain, you are amazing people.

i think I'm overtired and need sleep.
Thank you for letting me vent. :)
I don’t really know what to say, our family situation is different but please have a huge virtual hug because this dementia journey is hard flipping work! Xx

snowmile

Feb 3, 2024
It is a test of patience and a the time you're doing it and it can be very hard, but I'd do it all tomorrow for my now late wife or mum if I could all over in a heartbeat.
Caring sucks, OK, life after it sucks even more, in my experience.
When I was busy caring I was too busy to worry about me, now that's all over and luckily I find other stuff to do, most of the time.
I'm getting old too but still young enough to post on here and listen. K
Thank you for that heartfelt post. I never really stopped to think what life would be like when she passes. You must have been very good to you wife and mum. And now you take the time to help us, you're very kind. :) thank you and (((hugs))))

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulette C