Issue with wandering

Raest

Jan 15, 2022
My husband was diagnosed with FTD in 2022 at age 56. He constantly walks but has trouble with his speech. We are quite happy to let him wander as we live in a village he knows well. However just recently he is becoming a nuisance looking in peoples windows, and his walks may have to stop as I am getting complaints. He won’t be able to stay at home as he is incredibly restless and strong willed. I wondered what options are there out there for him, are there day services. We won’t be self funding so will be dependent on social services

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Firstly are the other villagers aware of your husband's condition? A man looking through your window is pretty scary and intrusive where as a PWD doing the same, is usually given far more understanding.

Are there any walking groups in the area? We have several which range from a gentle stroll followed by coffee to a full hike with boots and walking poles.

Are you in a position to join him? Perhaps take a few sandwiches and a flask then stop for your lunch.

Age UK is another option but only if they operate in your area.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I would request an assessment from social services. Perhaps a carer to be employed to take him out for a walk for a couple of hours each afternoon?

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @Raest , could your husband go to day care centre? The one my OH attends has a pacer there. This man walks around the room all day and no one takes any notice. He doesn't say anything and looks Very determined with his walks. X

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi @Raest, I am sorry to hear that you and your husband are facing this problem. You have already been given some great advice above.

I understand your situation because my husband was diagnosed at 58 and was very mobile and able to walk many miles at a time for several years after that and occasionally would knock at doors of houses in our road for a chat. There was no way he was going to stay home.

I wonder if you have used the Alzheimer's Society search tool to see what services are available near you? You can filter the search to the type of service you need e.g. activities and social groups, day centres etc.

I found that a lot of trial and error was involved. The first day centre we tried was a total disaster because, although they had experience of dementia, it was solely with older, less mobile people. Frankly, they were clueless about what to do with a younger, very mobile, energetic man who didn't want to sit around very much. Having said that, the second day centre was perfect for him and he loved going.

You can find the search tool at
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

I found I had to do a lot of my own research too. I was lucky enough to find a local leisure centre which ran events for people with dementia. They would set him on the running track where he could walk laps to his heart's desire without fear of getting lost, which helped enormously.

They also ran exercise classes for people with dementia and from time to time he enjoyed 'walking football' there.

It might be worth checking out what is available at your local leisure centre as they are obliged to provide services for and be accessible to people with a wide-range of disabilities.

Financially, my husband qualified for the Personal Independence Payment (PIP) which was used to pay for these activities. That might be something to look into if you haven't already done so.

As was mentioned in another reply, do request an assessment via social services to see what they can help with.

Raest

Jan 15, 2022
Thank you all for your helpful replies. We have been in touch with social services who have done an initial assessment but this was before he was a nuisance. Some people in the village know but I don’t want to put anything on Facebook due to it making him more vulnerable. We have PIP and ESA. There are some good ideas on here so I have a contact at age Uk and will speak to her before contacting social services again